New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ColinPolyarc

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2020 :  2:34:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'm using experiencing long parse times when launching Visual Studio 2019 using our UE4.sln file. I read through a couple of other forum posts which lead me to discover that I don't have any of the Unreal engine directories as stable includes and so they are being reparsed every time I launch the sln.

I'm building a customized version of the Engine pulled from the our own perforce serve into C:\Company\Game\Engine directory.

If I go into VAX Options-> C/C++ Directories and look at the Project defined, I have a giant list of includes that is almost exclusively Intermediate sub-folders.

Here's the info from System Info:

VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2382.0 built 2020.06.25
DevEnv.exe version 16.6.30204.135 Professional
msenv.dll version 16.0.30204.135
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.18362.959
Windows 10 10.0 1909 Build 18363.959
32 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x409

Platform: Custom
Stable Includes:

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:

Here's the Directories copied from the C/C++ Directories section:
https://pastebin.com/PW9g6U8w

Edited by - ColinPolyarc on Aug 03 2020 3:47:02 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2020 :  08:31:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, if you look in the VA Options dialog, and go to the "Unreal Engine" page, what do you have the options set to? For ease, the settings are:

VA Options -> Unreal Engine -> Enable support for Unreal Engine 4
When a solution contains a project named UE4
Always
VA Options -> Unreal Engine -> Enable Enhanced Syntax Coloring in UE4 macros
VA Options -> Unreal Engine -> Suggest VA Snippets inside UE4 macros

inside your game solution, do you have a project named UE4, or is it named something else?

Are the directories that VA is picking up coming from the project include directories inside your solution? Or does it look like VA is picking up these directories by scanning your Unreal Engine directory tree?

What should happen is that VA scans the entire Unreal Engine tree, and adds all of these include directories to the system include files list. For the standard Unreal Engine 4.24 directory tree, this is over 6,000 directories, so clearly most of the directories are missing, if your version of Unreal Engine has a similar number of directories inside its tree.

So I am wondering if VA is picking up any of these directories automatically from the file system, or if it is picking up this subset of directories from the solution settings instead.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

ColinPolyarc

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2020 :  3:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick response.

We do have a project labeled UE4. I couldn't determine where it was picking up the directories because the set that I was seeing inside of the C\C++ Directories listing didn't correlate with the includes or the UE4 tree.

However, toggling on the setting 'When a solution contains a project named UE4' to Always seems to have done the trick. When I closed VS and then opened it again, it I now see all of the stable directories I would expect.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  07:18:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent, thank you for the good news. VA support for Unreal Engine should now be working correctly, so please do let us know if you run into any problems with this, or have any questions about it.

It will be interesting to see how well our Unreal Engine support works in your situation, but it should be solid.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000