New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2020 :  09:36:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No idea why but depending on the location where I hover, i get the control flow tooltip in different font sizes. Not seeing a clear pattern, just sometimes it comes up different. Same in VS2019 release and preview.
What I see though is that the smaller font size never has a "// Context:" line.

This might well be my last post this year, so Happy New Year to you all.

Edited by - Uniwares on Dec 31 2020 09:38:54 AM

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2020 :  09:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got it. The smaller font size is the VS one (no "// Context") and the larger one the VA one. Seems that sometimes only the VS one shows up, most often the VA one. And occasionally both:

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2021 :  07:02:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seeing both fonts and blocks of text, but they are combined into one tooltip for me, with and without your settings.

My first thought was to try turning off the IDE tooltip, since it seems to offer less information, and thus help, than VA's tooltip, but I am not seeing anything in the IDE C# settings that seems to related to this.

Also the IDE text does not match the IDE "Editor Tooltip" font settings, but is using the editor font, which makes sense. It does beg the question of if VA should be using the editor font in tooltips as well, except that the IDE does not use this font for other tooltips it shows.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2021 :  07:03:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought that VA is replacing the IDE tooltips, which seems either not be the case or not work always.

I didn't find any VA documentation at all about this tooltip.

Edited by - Uniwares on Jan 04 2021 07:04:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2021 :  07:26:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is documented under the quick info tooltips:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W206

replacing or not depends somewhat on the IDE, language, and tooltip in question. For example you should only get VA or IDE parameter info tooltips, not both. We colour the IDE tooltip in earlier versions of the IDE.

In an ideal world, what would you like to see here? My first thought was to turn off the IDE tooltip, just leaving the VA tooltip, but there does not seem to be a setting for this, so I am not sure how well supressing the IDE tooltip would work. Turning off the VA tooltip stops the double information, but the IDE tooltip seems significantly less useful.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2021 :  07:37:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, I searched for context and nothing specific came up, although "Quick Info" is in the search results, really didn't associate it.

In an ideal world I'd prefer the VA tooltips. This said, I see that the VS tooltips come up on every indentation stop (tab stop), VA tooltips come only on structure keywords and symbols (brackets mostly, some c# language keywords) To get both tips, first hover over an opening bracket and then move on the same line to a indentation line.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2021 :  09:51:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have put in a feature request to hide the IDE tooltip when showing the VA tooltip:

case=144274

Now I know to look for it, I am also seeing the tooltip on indent, for me this shows up when hovering over the indent guide lines, the dotted lines that show each indent level. That is actually rather useful and interesting, since I am more keyboard focussed than mouse focussed I had not realised this tooltip actually existed.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2021 :  10:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might be interesting to actually follow the IDE's idea and show the same information level depending on the caret location in the indentation hierarchy, should be an easy fix.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2021 :  10:15:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I just noticed a redundancy in VAs tooltips. When hovering over the closing bracket of a method, one sees the method definition, the opening bracket and THEN the context info with the method definition and opening bracket repeated (with a kinda weird word wrap, guess the word wrap is based on initial calculations of the tooltip size without regarding the method definition line)

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2021 :  05:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is what I am seeing all of the time, here you have the IDE and VA tooltips merged together. Notice the different fonts. The top 3 lines are coming from the IDE. The block starting with "// Context:" is coming from VA.

Still no idea how come you are getting these as two separate tooltips though, since so far I have not been able to reproduce this anywhere.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2021 :  06:09:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have set up a simple test here, to trigger the same tooltip text in C#. No sign of the word wrapping you are seeing at all though. I have tried several different braces in my code, some producing quite long lines, but no odd word wrapping.

I know odd word wrapping can happen, but normally I can reproduce it here.

So I am not sure why the difference, but the fact that two tooltips are being "merged" together is probably a factor.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2021 :  06:45:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In this case you may try to get the Ringbuffer project from Github https://github.com/xorxornop/RingBuffer this should produce exactly what you see on my screenshot.

What I am wondering here, hows does VA "merge" the renderings of the IDE tooltips with its own? Doesn't make much sense.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2021 :  08:02:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, the idea of merging doesn't make sense BECAUSE of the font sizes, the IDE fonts for the tooltips are all SMALLER than the VA ones, but in the "merged" tooltip the first two lines are larger than the VA font.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2021 :  09:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not following your point about the font size and merging. Loading up my test system with your settings, I am seeing the following, one with VA quick info tooltips enabled, and one with VA quick info tooltips disabled. The IDE portion of the tooltip looks the same to me, but with VA quick info tooltips showing, the tooltip is taller, since extra information has been entered at the bottom.

Interestingly I now have the odd word wrap problem, so it looks like it is setting dependent, somehow. Investigating now.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2021 :  10:18:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you compare my initial screen shots with the last one, you see that my IDE tooltips have a font smaller than the VA font. So seemingly the source of the method info is another than the IDE tooltips from the indentation info.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2021 :  10:19:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Word wrapping tooltips seemed familiar. Word wrapping is only showing up in VS2019 16.2 and above, it did not happen in VS2019 16.1 or earlier versions of the IDE. I wasn't seeing the word wrapping because I was trying earlier IDE's, thinking this would avoid the IDE tooltip and VA tooltip merging effect:

case=141168

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2021 :  10:21:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get the smaller font in IDE tooltips, but only when hovering the mouse over the vertical dotted indent guide lines, not when hovering the mouse over the brackets. But the two can be very close together. Still, they do seem to be two different tooltips from the IDE, and VA is only adding its information to one of the two types.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2021 :  11:09:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now we are getting somewhere
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2021 :  1:41:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its kinda weird, it seems that the kind of tooltip has to do with the caret blink phase. Dont ask. But... When I hover over the char right after a methods closing bracket - when the caret is currently off, the IDE tooltip (2 lines) appears, when the caret is on, the VA tooltip appears. Makes sense? No. But seems to happen. I am here like an idiot hovering and counting caret cycles and that's what I see.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  09:38:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No sign of the caret mattering for me. Near as I can tell, where the caret will end up if I left mouse click determines what tooltip I get. If a left mouse click will place the caret onto a brace then I get the brace tooltip, and if the mouse click will place the caret onto a dotted indent line I get the indent tooltip. This has been double checked with your settings and extensions here.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  10:33:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will try to record it on video, if that helps.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  10:53:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Pay attention to the "T: struct" which appears on some tooltips with a delay.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  12:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's strange. Using the following simple test case:

namespace Q7.Feline55
{
    public static class CRCHelper
	{
        public static ushort CalculateCrc<T>(ref T me) where T : struct
		{
			return 1;
		}
	}
}

the entire tooltip, including the T: struct part at the end, on its own line, always appears at once for me. Both on my standard system and my Uniwares system.

I am seeing the tooltip from VA come up over white space as well, but the locations where it appears generally seem reasonable.

Looks like I also need to go and read up on where conditions on templates in C# as well

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  12:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where conditions are pretty simple, much the same as for generic classes. it simply defines what can be used as argument for the generic (template) parameter.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/language-reference/keywords/where-generic-type-constraint
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000