CMakePresets.json
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swinefeaster
Tomato Guru

303 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2021 :  2:10:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The visual studio team has a new feature for cmake that seems to clash with Visual Assist. When I have vax enabled after generating cmake cache, I cannot compile. When I have the extension disabled, I can compile just fine. The old CMakeSettings.json method worked just fine. Seems like this might be either a file lock issue or two things trying to update the ui at the same time.

Are you guys aware of this?

thanks

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
17376 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2021 :  12:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which version, and build, of Visual Studio are you using? I am guessing VS2019, so the build might matter, if this is a new feature.

I am assuming you have turned On:

IDE Tools menu -> Options -> CMake -> Prefer using CMake Presets for configure, build, and test.

I have a problem on one system, but not on a second machine, using the same very simple CMake project. On the problem machine, when I open the IDE Build menu there are only 2 entries showing, but disabled. They are "Install Project" and "Compile".

Is this the same as what you are seeing?

I am currently trying to find out why only one machine has this problem.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
17376 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2021 :  2:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, the problem is being triggered by an IDE setting, but not one of the CMake settings. It's going to take a bit of time to figure out the problem setting, but I am looking for it.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
17376 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2021 :  10:34:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found the trigger here, but it has nothing to do with Visual Assist. If you disable the IDE intellisense parser for C++, via the setting:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Disable Database = True

then you can no longer build a CMake project. This is what I am seeing here.

Can you please check this setting on your system? If the IDE intellisense parser is active and you are still seeing a build problem with CMake projects then this does need looking at, but the trigger isn't as simple as just adding a CMakePresets.json file to the root folder of the CMake "solution".

Go to Top of Page

VitaminCpp
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2021 :  09:35:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've the same problem...
Suddenly my "Build"-Menu only displays "Install ..." and "Compile" is disabled. So I'm not able to build my CMake project anymore inside VS.
If I disable VAX and restart VS, everything is working perfectly again.
My database isn't disabled. This happened suddenly after restarting VS! :-(
Please help, this is a Showstopper for us... :-(
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
17376 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2021 :  10:50:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have any idea of what might have triggered this problem? An update to VA? An update to the IDE? A change to your CMake project?

Which IDE and version of VA are you using?

Can you create a simple CMake project that shows the same problem, that you would be able to share with me? I don't know much about CMake, so if you have done anything "unusual" that could be a factor, I would be difficult for me to easily set up a test case here.

If so, could you please send me both the test solution and your exported VA and IDE settings. These can be exported via:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

I can then import them here and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Please send me the files via email:

support@wholetomato.com

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2021 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000