Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2023 :  05:28:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VS2022 17.5.0

After updating to the latest version, I see some strange behavior of the definition bar. First, when I click on some symbol it shows the definition as expected, but then I scroll with the mouse wheel and the magic starts - the initial definition disappears, some symbols under the mouse cursos show in the definition bar as if it where a tooltip. There is nothing constant about this, seems random.

PS: the missing VA icons returned to normal after updating VS to 17.5 BEFORE updating VA to the latest version. Seems that there was a fix on both ends.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2023 :  12:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How consistently can you reproduce this? Is it all of the time, or just some of the time?

Are you working in C++ or C#?

So far no sign of this for me in either C++ or C#, with VA 2476 and VS2022 17.5.0. I am testing under Windows 10 in case the OS matters for some odd reason.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2023 :  12:10:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, reproducible. Can send a screen capture, rather large.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2023 :  12:29:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Email might be better for a large screen shot. Please send me the files via email:

[email protected]

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Is this file specific? Or are you able to reproduce this in multiple files?

The description is clear enough, but so far no sign of it, so I wonder if I am missing something obvious here.

Edited by - feline on Feb 24 2023 12:29:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2023 :  1:37:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sending email. Its C#, any .cs file, repro anytime, anywhere. Havent seen this behavior in earlier versions of VA.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2023 :  08:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just updated VA on my other machine where I still run VS 17.4.5 with exactly the same settings/extensions, same thing happening there. So its definitely VA causing this. Question is now how to repro on your machine(s)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2023 :  11:31:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am happy to try installing the same list of extensions as you have here, to see if that helps. The IDE and VA settings on their own aren't enough.

The other obvious thought is to try a new C# test solution, although I really don't see why or how this would be solution specific. File specific could make some sense, perhaps something to do with Unicode characters or something like that. It seems unlikely, but not impossible.

Two different machines means it should definitely be reproducible elsewhere. Do you have any utilities installed on both machines that might be a factor? Something that interacts with how the mouse pointer works?

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2023 :  11:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried different solutions, disabled all non-VS extensions, still same thing. So yes, it definitely should be reproducible. And its definitely the latest VA version which has this new feature.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2023 :  10:49:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How are you disabling the other extensions? Are you disabling them in the:

IDE Extensions menu -> Manage Extensions

dialog and then restarting the IDE, or disabling them via a disable option in the extension settings? If you are using an extension setting without restarting I am wondering if the extensions are fully disabling.

If you are using the Manage Extensions dialog then there must be something we are missing. We have both tried the same source code along with IDE and VA settings, and the same versions of VS2022 and VA. Do you have to do anything after opening the IDE before this happens? Compiling? Swapping code files? Or can you just open the IDE and reproduce the problem?

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2023 :  11:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did disable the extensions through the manage extensions dialog, with and without restarting VS.
I can just load up any C# solution and repro this strangeness by just opening a C# file, clicking in the editor and scrolling around.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2023 :  12:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just emailed you a very simple test solution, which only contains a single C# code file. It will be interesting to see if you can reproduce this problem in the test solution. I suspect you will see it, even though so far no sign of the problem here.

case=149218

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2023 :  07:05:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

I have just emailed you a very simple test solution...

Not received yet.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2023 :  04:24:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, reporting what I tried now:
Installed VS2022 17.5.1 into a new user profile, installed VA 2476 into it with the downloaded VSIX installer, no settings changed or imported, loaded the solution you sent me, clicked into the editor window, scrolled around and watched the definition bar show varying things.
Given this situation, it should happen on pretty much any installation.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2023 :  08:05:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Windows 10 VMware virtual machine, a very clean base state. No Visual Studio, checking in Programs and Features, it looks like the only program I have installed is Microsoft Powertoys. The OS is fully updated.

I ran the VS2022 community installer, selecting C# and C++ workloads, leaving everything at the default settings. This installed version 17.5.1. I have not signed in, and on start up I selected the General developer settings and the Blue colour theme. So I should have completely standard settings and extensions here.

After the suggested reboot I installed VA 2476 via the exe installer, again keeping everything to the defaults.

I copied across the test solution I sent you and opened it, opening the single .cs file. I have placed keyboard focus into the editor, and the keyboard caret into the middle of the class name "testCSVAHighlightMouseScroll". I have tried slow mouse scrolling, one click at a time. I have tried fast mouse scrolling. Up and down the file. No sign at all of this problem.

Off to check for missing updates on my laptop, then to test there.

At this point it is the OS, if you are not using Windows 10, the edition of VS2022, or maybe this won't happen inside a virtual machine? I can easily test on a Windows 11 VM, but the laptop is Windows 10 only. Is there anything else obvious I am missing here? I really should be seeing this by now, this is crazy.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2023 :  08:26:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is really weird. Am without ideas for the moment. Windows 11 only over my dead keyboard, so Windows 10 with patches, enterprise on one machine, home on the other.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2023 :  12:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And checked on the laptop, still no sign of the problem. I am even running at 125% DPI on the laptop, just for a bit of variety.

There is obviously something going on here, but I am really running out of good ideas for possible triggers.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000