Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Help With Visual Assist Correct Completion List!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeePlus

Yemen
5 Posts

Posted - May 15 2023 :  06:22:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I am new to C++ programming and I have chosen to try Visual Assist to help me on my way through.

I am on a course on Udemy and I can notice he types a letter and Visual Assist will suggest the correct list but mine fails sometimes.

I have attached two examples I face. The first one when using #include. Second, when I call (.AddDynamic) it suggests (_Internal_AddDynamic).

Thanks

You Will Do It. All Needs Time

Edited by - SeePlus on May 15 2023 07:03:22 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - May 15 2023 :  07:43:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the #include line, when I type:

#in

I get a VA listbox suggesting

#include ""
#include <>

are you seeing this? The reason I ask is that if you accept this listbox, a new listbox should automatically appear where you will start typing the filename to include. If you are not seeing this, then turning On the settings:

VA Options -> Suggestions -> Enable Suggestion Lists
VA Options -> Suggestions -> Suggestion and Completion lists
* Enable in C++
* Include VA Snippets

should get the listbox to appear.

For the private items being listed after dot and -> you might want to try setting:

VA Options -> Enhanced Listboxes -> Source of C/C++ content: Default Intellisense

since the IDE tends to handle filtering out inaccessible members better than VA does currently.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

SeePlus

Yemen
5 Posts

Posted - May 15 2023 :  08:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replying to my Issue.

The initial #include shows up like below:

#include ""
#include <>

My issue is with the initial list of directories does not show up But when I get into a directory it gives available headers.
#include "GameFramework/"

I am trying to attach an image for your reference but the upload does not work.

For the (.AddDynamic) it is also not showing with the default Intellisense as well. I have tried different versions of Visual Studio and Unreal Versions

Thanks

Edited by - SeePlus on May 15 2023 09:06:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - May 15 2023 :  10:37:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Knowing you are working with Unreal Engine is helpful. Have you turned On any of the Unreal Engine settings, under:

VA Options -> Game Development

VA has support for Unreal Engine, but sometimes it needs a little bit of setting up.

Do you get any listbox at all when accepting a #include line? What happens if you accept a #include <> line?

Go to Top of Page

SeePlus

Yemen
5 Posts

Posted - May 15 2023 :  10:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for being respnsive

I haven't missed with the VA Options

When I accept #include line I get a small list that includes current headers and engine folders like ( Binary , content , config, itermidiate etc.)

When I accept #include <> line it is empty. but when I start to type suggestions come per my input.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - May 15 2023 :  1:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, that's odd, I am not getting a listbox in an Unreal Engine project on accepting #include <> either. But a listbox does appear the second I start typing.

I am also not seeing the directory name "Components" being suggested inside a #include "" statement listbox either, but this is used in a sample project UE generated, so it is an expected path.

Something else to look at.

Are you aware of VA's Add Include command:

https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W177

this may help here.

On a different front, which directory do you have your Unreal Engine installed into?

There is a known limitation in VA, that it won�t correctly pick up the Unreal Engine directory tree if it installed outside of "C:\Program Files\", but I have a work around if you have installed UE to a different location that might help a bit.

Go to Top of Page

SeePlus

Yemen
5 Posts

Posted - May 15 2023 :  4:27:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply.

I think I am happy with my current Visual Assist performance as it does a great job compared to the default IntelliSense and will help me a lot.

One thing left, please! When I call AddDynamic it lists the wrong candidates so instead it will be _intarnal_AddDynamic which will give an error when compiling.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - May 16 2023 :  08:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are considering having VA work out if private and protected members should be included in the listbox, and filtering out the ones that don't apply to the current scope:

case=24551

it's one of those things that sounds easy enough, but runs into quite a lot of edge cases.

For now, if you hover the mouse over the listbox you will get a filtering bar at the bottom of the listbox, allowing you to control the items that are shown in the listbox. You can use this to only show the public members, for example.

For the directory names not being included in the #include "" listbox, I have put in a bug report for this:

case=149538

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000