Unreal 5 - UStaticMeshComponent Highlighting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JakeS

USA
2 Posts

Posted - May 24 2023 :  02:17:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, I'm working on a project in Unreal 5 using VA and I'm loving it so far but I've come across one small thing that - while not a breaking issue - is bothering me far more than I care to admit.

As you can see above - UStaticMeshComponent is being colored as if it were an enum member rather than a class like UCapsuleComponent and USceneComponent. Anyone know why? And how to get it to match the others?

Thanks!

EDIT: So perplexingly enough, simply F12ing to go to the definition of UStaticMeshComponent fixed the issue. Strange!

Edited by - JakeS on May 24 2023 02:31:11 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - May 24 2023 :  08:15:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This suggests that VA isn't picking up all of the UE header files when it parses your solution.

A second clue is that while some of the UE symbols are in italics, "UPROPERTY" isn't being shown in italics. Do you have UE installed outside of the directory "C:\Program Files\" ?

There is a known limitation in VA, that it won�t correctly pick up the Unreal Engine directory tree if it installed outside of "C:\Program Files\"

case=105950

to work around this problem can you please create a junction point link to point at the installed engine. So:

Create the directory "C:\Program Files\Epic Games\"

Open a command prompt inside this directory, running as administrator, and run the command:

mklink /J UE_5.1 "C:\UE5\5.1"

Where the second path is the directory where you have installed / placed Unreal Engine. This will create a directory link inside the Windows file system, so while Unreal Engine will appear to exist inside this Program Files sub-directory, is still where it was originally installed.

Now to update your project to use the new path, open the Unreal Engine editor via this junction point, so run:

C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.1\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealEditor.exe

and open your project. In Unreal Engine 5.x use:

Tools menu -> Refresh Visual Studio Project

this will update the project to use the "C:\Program Files\" path of the junction point for the location of Unreal Engine, which is what Visual Assist is expecting.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

JakeS

USA
2 Posts

Posted - May 24 2023 :  10:39:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah! What you've described is indeed the source of the issue. I have all of my development related programs installed to C:/Dev/... . Thank you for the tip on creating the directory link!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - May 24 2023 :  12:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully the steps I have described are clear and easy to follow, but please do ask if you have any problems with this.

Go to Top of Page

SHG_Nico

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2023 :  09:51:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi feline,

I'm following the issue case=105950 for a while now. Is there any ETA on a real fix for this issue ?

The mklink works great for the parsing issue but it creates more issues with some of our custom scripts we're using internally in our build pipeline.

Thanks,
Nicolas
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2023 :  07:27:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The install location part of this has actually been moved into a different case:

case=149208

We are looking to have a go at this soon, but I don't currently have an estimate, but I will add a note about these problems you are having.

Is running your scripts from the "mapped" UE install location an option for now? Obviously this would require some updating of the scripts, which might be more trouble than it's worth, but I thought I would ask. UE seems to be quite happy being run from within the mapped install location, so this might be an option.

Go to Top of Page

SHG_Nico

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2023 :  11:14:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi feline,

Yes, we can work around it by checking both possible paths (the real one and the mklink one). It's just a bit more tedious to maintain this but we can live with it for now.
I'm glad this issue is still under investigation.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Nicolas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000