Personal license options
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CaptainChaos
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2023 :  12:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to request some information about the different personal licenses.
What is the exact difference between the 'Annual Subscription License' and the 'Perpetual License' license options? I couldn't find any information about it on the webpage.
Thanks!

Edited by - CaptainChaos on Jun 29 2023 1:25:45 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2023 :  11:15:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The basic answer is that the subscription license is an ongoing yearly payment, making sure that you keep on getting the latest updates and bug fixes.

The perpetual license is a one off payment, and you can keep on using the latest version your current license supports, but you don't get access to newer versions released after the support end date of the license.

I hope this helps.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

bartlynn

USA
19 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2023 :  1:43:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased the Perpetual thinking it was that, perpetual and it was $20 more. I don't see a benefit for the Perpetual over the other, esp with the extra $20. Maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by - bartlynn on Sep 08 2023 1:51:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

MikMik

42 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2023 :  02:42:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't get the difference, either...
And I also don't get why there is no documentation explaining the difference.

I understand that the perpetual license is the "classic" VA license. You pay for one year of support and updates and at the end of that year, you keep a license to use VA forever with the version active at that moment.

But the Annual subscription one? You don't get a working license after the one year mark? Or what's the deal?

Also, the pricing is way off, in my opinion. The subscription model should be way cheaper. Or the rate of updates should be higher. Otherwise, it makes more sense to buy a perpetual license, use it for 18 months instead of 12, or until an "interesting" update is published and then buy a new perpetual license. We are talking personal funds, here... The subscription model makes sense for corporate, but for personal use, not so much...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2023 :  07:29:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume that the bulk of the interest in the subscription license was from corporate customers who purchase multiple user licenses. This is just my personal assumption though, as technical support I don't deal so much with sales

Go to Top of Page

MikMik

42 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2023 :  08:40:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When buying a personal license, there is a checkbox you have to check that says "I confirm that I will be the only authorized user of the license, and I am purchasing with personal funds that will not be reimbursed by a company or organization", so that should not be the reason...

Anyway, as you say, this is a sales issue, not a technical one. But this is at least the second thread on the same issue. I just think the documentation on the purchase page is a bit lacking...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2023 :  12:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is fair, I have asked to get this updated with a more helpful explanation:

case=150013

Go to Top of Page

bartlynn

USA
19 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2023 :  09:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats still confusing. It was my understanding that you can still run VA with an old license, but you can't upgrade to the version past your license, with the standard license. It sounds like the perpetual is exactly the same thing, but $20 more. I'd rather get the $20 back and get basically get the same thing.

Are you saying the standard personal license will quit working after the 'end date', even if you never upgrade the version?

quote:
Originally posted by feline

The basic answer is that the subscription license is an ongoing yearly payment, making sure that you keep on getting the latest updates and bug fixes.

The perpetual license is a one off payment, and you can keep on using the latest version your current license supports, but you don't get access to newer versions released after the support end date of the license.

I hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2023 :  11:51:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The personal perpetual license keeps on working, but only supports the latest version covered by your license key.

My understanding is that the personal subscription license only works while you are maintaining the subscription. If you are planning on renewing anyway when your license is due for renewal then this won't matter, and will save you money over time. From a "getting all the bug fixes" point of view this makes sense, but it isn't going to be for everyone.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000