Technical Support
 VA not working
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrkky1

2 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2023 :  07:22:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a license for Visual Assist 10.9.2420.0, and I recently installed it on Windows 11 Pro. It installed and works fine with Visual Studio 2010, but I'm having trouble installing it on Visual Studio 2019.
I have installed it, but I don't see any Visual Assist-related menus, and it appears as installed in the Visual Studio 2019 extension manager
Even after installing the latest trial version of Visual Assist, I still don't see the menu in Visual Studio 2019.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2023 :  3:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for this problem, and thank you for the clear description. Since Visual Assist is shown as an installed extension, I know how to fix this problem.

The first step is to export your default profiles IDE settings, since the fix resets your current settings.� This is done via:

IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

Now you need to close all instances of the IDE and locate the directory where your default profile is stored.� This will be:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\16.0_xxxxx
where xxxxx is a hash, so its machine specific.� There should only be one directory matching this pattern.

If you look inside this directory you should see a file called "privateregistry.bin".� You need to delete this file, which will be recreated next time you load the default profile. You will either get the default IDE settings or your online synced IDE settings, if you have enabled this option.� So you may well want to import your exported IDE settings, to restore your preferred settings.

When you do so all of your installed extensions will still be installed, but they will be Disabled, so you need to go into the dialog:

IDE Extensions menu -> Manage Extensions

and Enable them.� This will require an IDE restart to take effect.

At this point Visual Assist should be active and working normally.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

mrkky1

2 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2023 :  05:01:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was a big problem for me, but it has been resolved. Thank you very much
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2023 :  06:41:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad this worked. Something seems to have changed with Visual Studio over time, since this problem did not show up when these versions of Visual Assist were released, but they are now showing up when you install an older version of Visual Assist on a newer version of Visual Studio.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000