New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2023 :  08:27:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure this is a VA issue, but it's happening in Visual Studio 2019 and Visual Studio 2022. When I launch those apps for the first time each day, when I select some text and press Ctrl+C to copy to clipboard the mouse cursor changes to a spinning wheel. It takes 3-5 seconds, and finally the apps that are up on the desktop all hide momentarily, then they come back after just a few milliseconds flicker.

It's been happening now for multiple versions of Visual Studio over a few months. It doesn't happen in other apps, so it seems to be Visual Studio-specific. Since VAX extends the clipboard, I thought I would see if anyone here sees anything similar?

--
Rick C. Hodgin

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2023 :  09:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you run Windows Task Manager, and wait for the CPU usage spike from loading the IDE to settle down, do you still get this problem? My first guess is that you are running into "to busy to respond", although that is a little concerning since you are "just" doing a copy.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2023 :  10:49:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It happens throughout the day whenever I first load Visual Studio, which isn't always first thing. Most days I'm checking email and responding to chats for the first 15+ minutes of my work days. Only time it's otherwise is on the weekend or when I've been told there's an issue with some process that needs debugged.

--
Rick C. Hodgin
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2023 :  06:17:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both VA and IDE intellisense parsers, assuming IDE intellisense parsing is active, are going to need to scan your solution on load, to see what, if anything, needs reparsing. So this could cause a CPU spike from the IDE its self. This probably won't show up on small solutions, but loading a large solution it can be noticeable. It's just a theory, since I am loading and quitting the IDE all the time while testing things, and don't recognise this problem, but the IDE taking a few moments to finish loading and be ready to properly respond is something I am familiar with.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000