ALT O does not work anymore - does nothing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Harald Krause

Austria
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2024 :  2:10:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Open corresponding file via ALT O does not work anymore, Visual Studio 2022 and latest VA.
It works via the toolbar.
Is there somewhere to check the keyboard bindings? I did not find anything in the settings.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18915 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2024 :  07:33:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some combination of IDE version, your specific settings, having VA installed, and then upgrading your VS2022 version can cause this keyboard mapping to disappear, which is probably has happened here.

If you look at:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Keyboard

and search for the setting:

VAssistX.OpenCorrespondingFile

you will probably find that this is no longer mapped to Alt-O, so you will need to remap this.

Alternatively, you could save out the following code as the file "vs2022_alt_o_keymapping.vssettings" and then import it via:

IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Import selected environment settings

to remap this setting:

<UserSettings>
    <ApplicationIdentity version="17.0"/>
    <ToolsOptions><ToolsOptionsCategory name="Environment" RegisteredName="Environment"/></ToolsOptions>
    <Category name="Environment_Group" RegisteredName="Environment_Group">
        <Category name="Environment_KeyBindings" Category="{F09035F1-80D2-4312-8EC4-4D354A4BCB4C}" Package="{DA9FB551-C724-11d0-AE1F-00A0C90FFFC3}" RegisteredName="Environment_KeyBindings" PackageName="Visual Studio Environment Package">
            <Version>17.0.0.0</Version>
            <KeyboardShortcuts><UserShortcuts><Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.OpenCorrespondingFile" Scope="Text Editor">Alt+O</Shortcut></UserShortcuts></KeyboardShortcuts>
        </Category>
    </Category>
</UserSettings>

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Harald Krause

Austria
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2024 :  3:12:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both Methods dont work. Importing the vssettings gives this error Message:

Die Einstellungen wurden mit einigen Warnungen importiert.

Warnung 1: Tastatur: Der Bereich "Text Editor" ist nicht vorhanden. Der innerhalb dieses Bereichs gebundene Befehl "VisualAssist.OpenCorrespondingFile" wird ignoriert.

However in IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Keyboard -> VAssistX.OpenCorrespondingFile is shown als mapped to ALT O. But it does not work

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18915 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2024 :  06:20:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is really strange. I have just double checked, and the settings file restores the keyboard mapping for me, using VS2022 version 17.10.4

In the IDE options dialog keyboard settings, if you go to the VAssistX.OpenCorrespondingFile setting, what scope is this set for? For me, when I select it, the shortcuts pull down list shows:

Alt+O (Text Editor)

where Text Editor is the part of the IDE where this keyboard shortcut is active. Is the "shortcut currently used by" pull down list at the bottom enabled or disabled when you have this entry selected? You can have several different commands mapped to the same keyboard shortcut. If this happens, they will be listed here.

Can you please export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

I can then import them here and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Please send me the files via email:

[email protected]

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Go to Top of Page

Harald Krause

Austria
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2024 :  08:58:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems I fixed it. It was assigned as "Global" not "Text Editor".
In IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Keyboard I did a reset to "Visual Assist" and then assigned it again.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18915 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2024 :  1:26:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange, I would have expected global scope to work as well. Then again, we need the text editor scope so that we know the command is tied to the current open file in the text editor. I am glad you have this working again, apologies for the problems.

Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
402 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2024 :  08:50:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you add a startup option that would validate the VAX key definitions are still in tact from the last time Visual Studio was shut down? It could notify of any changed keybindings.

--
Rick C. Hodgin
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18915 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2024 :  08:39:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do have the command:

VAssistX -> Help -> Keyboard Shortcuts

to check the keyboard mappings, but when this bug was first reported, people reported mixed results using this dialog. Under "normal" conditions a mapped keyboard shortcut should only disappear if someone has gone in and deleted it, which is a deliberate action.

Unless you are seeing a problem with disappearing keyboard shortcuts?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000