Germany
15 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2024 :  11:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made a screenshot of the VA navigation bar:

BugTrapper

Germany
15 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2024 :  1:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Navigation bar is displayed correctly now.

Do not launch VS2022 in "Run as administrator" checked in the properties dialog of the start icon of devenv.exe on the desktop :-(
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18934 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2024 :  12:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Windows 11, VS2022 version 17.10.5, VA 2530.0

Running VS2022 as administrator, and the navigation bar is displaying and working correctly for me here.

So its not as simple as running as administrator breaks it everywhere.

Do you have any other extensions installed?

What happens if you reboot your machine in safe mode, and then run VS2022 as administrator? I have just tried this here, and again, the navigation bar works correctly for me. This would help test for some other program or utility being a problem. Not a full test, but a relatively straight forward one. This page explains how to restart in safe mode:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

BugTrapper

Germany
15 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2024 :  11:38:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the same VS-Studio Version and VAssist.

I have some more extensions installed:
BCGPAppWizard from BCGSoft
Devart Code Compare
ModelBuilder and LiveShare
XTPWizard from CodeJock
Testadapter for Boost.Test and Google Test
Go to Top of Page

BugTrapper

Germany
15 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2024 :  11:44:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The behaviour is not always there.

If I open a file from Project explorer, the toolbar symbols for switching between .h and .cpp file is grayed out.
If I switch between the tabs for all open documents, then after a while the items are enabled after a while.
Go to Top of Page

BugTrapper

Germany
15 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2024 :  12:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I run VS2019 on the same Win11 machine, side-by-side installation, in admin mode and load my project and switched between different .h and .cpp files.

It is working perfectly :-)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18934 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2024 :  1:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can only find some of these extensions, but I did find and install Devart Code Compare, and seem to be running into some problems, and this is running VS2022 normally, not even running it as administrator.

Can you please try going into the extension manager, and disable "Devart Code Compare" and see if this fixes the problems you are seeing? I don't want to just assume that you will get the same behaviour on your system.

Go to Top of Page

BugTrapper

Germany
15 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2024 :  05:09:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason, why I need DevArt Code Compare, is, that I use it for merging in Git as a Git compare tool. It is a nice tool for comparing different files and for merging.
Go to Top of Page

BugTrapper

Germany
15 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2024 :  05:46:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I deactivated Code Compare extension and restarted Visual Studio 2022 in admin mode.

Funny, now everything is working so far, also Alt + G is working.

But in Visual Studio 2019 I had this extension also installed without any problems.

No problem, if I uninstall this extension. For Merging I use "Tower for Git", which has also integrated CodeCompare as Merging Tool.
Yes, I could use several other Git Merging editors, for example "Meld", "Beyound Compare" etc., but my favorite is from DevArt, who are making good projects like MySQL tools also for Rad Studio.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18934 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2024 :  10:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may not know this, but VS2022 was re-written as a 64bit IDE, while VS2019 is still a 32bit IDE, so any extensions also have to be ported across to work in VS2022. So there is plenty of scope for differences between the two versions of Visual Studio.

After some more tests, I am getting mixed results.

On the first test run, I saw most of the problems you did, without needing to run VS2022 as admin, just running normally.
On the second test run, VS2022 was locking up, title bar was updating with (Not Responding) and I had to kill the IDE.
On the third run, no sign of any problems at all.

I have yet to reproduce the exact set of problems you are seeing. Still something is clearly going on here, so I have put in a bug report for the interaction problems with VA and Code Compare:

case=164865

For now, do you really need to run VS2022 as admin? This seems to be the trigger for you, for whatever reason.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000