VS2022 crash
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kimbo

36 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2024 :  09:11:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I often have VAX crashes when inspecting crash dumps in VS. Currently have have a 100% repro, VS dies with a __fastfail in the VA_X64.dll (in a thread) a few seconds after I start the crash dump debugging.

C++ project, no Unreal. Can provide you some callstack addresses (not sure if this is helpful).

VA_X64.dll file version 10.9.2530.0 built 2024.07.30
DevEnv.exe version 17.10.35122.118 Professional

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18936 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2024 :  10:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch. This is unexpected.

A random question, is the dump you are inspecting on a network drive or is it local? The reason I ask is that we have just had another report of VA 2530 crashing, but could not make any sense of the dump files provided. In that case it turned out the crash was related to a network access problem, and when the network access was fixed, the crash disappeared.

Any dump files or details would be most welcome. Please send me the files via email:

[email protected]

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Would it be possible to get a copy of the dump file you are investigating that always causes the crash? I realise this may not be possible, but it's worth asking on the off chance. We would only use any files purely for testing the crash, and getting a fix tested.

Have you used previous versions of VA on the same machine? I am wondering if you saw the crash before, wondering if there is any reason to suspect this is a new bug in VA 2530 or an existing problem that is still present.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

kimbo

36 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2024 :  11:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I switched to 2022 this year and to the actual VAX as well. With 2017 everything was fine. The dump is on a local drive. I can't send you the dump, only the VAX callstack.
Go to Top of Page

kimbo

36 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2024 :  04:21:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only wanted to mention that VAX is crashing here, and cause of my company rules I can't send you a dump of that, but I think the callstack should be enough to see what's going wrong here.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18936 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2024 :  09:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not being able to send any files due to company rules is the normal situation, so we are quite used to this. You need to keep confidential information private, this is just how it should be

I have the call stack, many thanks for this. I have asked our developers about this:

case 164873

and I will reply via email in a moment, with a couple of tests to try, in case you have time.

It is interesting that the crash is only happening with one version of Visual Studio, but we did have to re-write VA to be 64bit for VS2022, so there is a fair bit of difference between VA for the two versions of Visual Studio, which may be a factor.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000