New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2004 :  12:48:39 PM  Show Profile
The "Find Symbol" dialog currently shows the "Symbol" and the "Definition". I would like it to also show me the full pathname of the file it found the definition in.

I know, of what possible use is that? Just double-click on the item, and the file will be opened! Well, the question I'm trying to answer is, "Hmmm... are any of these symbols defined in C:\\Foo\\Bar\\snafu.h?"

It would be even easier if the columns in that window sorted when you click on them. Right now, the columns are clickable, but don't actually do anything when you click them - the worst of both worlds.

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2004 :  1:43:38 PM  Show Profile
Both wishes added to the wish-list.

case=197

Go to Top of Page

Baga
Tomato Guru

122 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2004 :  6:53:52 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes path is very long, so usually it is truncated and some portion of it is replaced with "..." But very often this "..." eats the part which you are interested in! Sometimes it's start, sometimes it's end, hard to tell...

My proposition is: when truncating the path, replace with "..." only the part, which is the same for all paths in question. That way you will not get

.../SDK/include/string.h
.../SDK/include/string.h

at least, make sure there are some differences in path after truncation.

This is more of general suggession, not necessarily for this topic only.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2004 :  11:42:16 AM  Show Profile
if you apply this to the FSIW dialog, then the locations will change as the list gets filtered down to a smaller and smaller number of items.

at work we use a 3rd party library, which has its source code in the dir tree C:\\qt\\live\
due to the nasty things that have happened to my work machine over the years my primary drive letter is D:, and the IDE along with its libraries are installed onto D: drive.

no paths can be truncated until i have filtered the list down to items on only one drive, which may take several letters to do. this is something of a worst case scenario, but it will probably effect most people using 3rd party libraries.

i am just trying to decide if this will matter or not. it is going to look strange and possibly distracting if the strings in the location column keep on changing as you filter the list.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000