Feature Requests
 German Language ???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robtherat007

4 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2004 :  1:31:29 PM  Show Profile
Is there a way to get visual assist to german language (menues and spellcheck, and date format).
If not would oyu do that. I know a lot of germen developers who are not satisfied with the service vs.NET provides

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2004 :  2:55:09 PM  Show Profile
We made recently a number of fixes to support German characters in source. That was a big plus.

Menus are unlikely any time soon, if ever. We have too many other features/fixes to do.

We use a spell checking engine from Matt Gullett. We have no dictionaries other than English. If someone has one for German that works with the engine, we would consider supporting it. On a related note, we are considering changing the engine to a commercial product that already has multiple dictionaries. The task is not on the short list yet.

http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/spellchecker_mg.asp

If you need to change date format in our code templates or autotext, you can do so manually.

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/templates.html?more=yes

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2004 :  11:23:17 PM  Show Profile
Support, please check your email. I've tried to send you an email with the dictionary attached, but it bounced. I've made it available here for you. (VAX Users - dont download, it is NOT a dictionary which VAX could use (yet)).
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2004 :  6:13:44 PM  Show Profile
Uniwares: Our reply to you via email bounced. Must be that "Enterprise Anti-Spam Server."

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2004 :  6:28:32 PM  Show Profile
Ouch No this domain does not filter spam. But our ISP made some "firewall adjustments". Ugh. Should be resolved by now.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2004 :  03:44:11 AM  Show Profile
If you guys at WholeTomato need some help in translating the Menus and Dialogs of VAX into German, just ask...

I'd gladly help...

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2004 :  09:44:10 AM  Show Profile
Unfortunately there is more to it than only translating it. Since W2K multilanguage resources are not more a working feature thanks to Microsoft. The only viable way is creating resource DLLs. One for each language (the main language may reside in the app) and then load the DLL and use the handle as resource handle.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2004 :  11:29:23 AM  Show Profile
Sure, it IS much work, but if the Whole Tomato Guys just don't localize VA_X because they don't have someone with knowledge of both languages (german/english, for example) and this is their only reason for not doing it, they now know that they can have assistance in translating VA_X (at least for the German Version of VA_X) for free! Don't know about the others, but I would help translating for free!

Edited by - WannabeeDeveloper on Apr 26 2004 11:30:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

robtherat007

4 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2004 :  6:14:01 PM  Show Profile
Since I and a lot of german Programmers und Students would love to see a full german version of VA_X I would also tranlate all menues for free as well as coding everything that is needed for a german version :)

Generally I think in today's world a software's ability of internationalization should be implemented always. This should always be an aspect of the software's designprocess right at the start. Since it does not cost that much and will enlarge the market extremly. Especially for a piece of software like VA_X.
For non-english speaking coders at least 30% of VA_X is useless. And therefore not worth buying.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2004 :  6:55:01 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by robtherat007

For non-english speaking coders at least 30% of VA_X is useless.

As are 90% of all development products and documentation. On the other side - as a native german speaker, I'm entitled to say it - I really do not understand how anybody can write programs without knowing at least technical english.
There is just not enough translated information available to cover all developer needs in other languages than english. And, seriously, 80% of the native german books like Data Becker you can just forget.
How do you live without MSDN as a developer for a Microsoft OS?

I've tried to use a German Developer Studio once. While the UI is not that bad, the documentation is really bad. But worst of all, and that was reason enough to immediately close VS, are the translated compiler messages, warnings and errors.

And thus I do not understand why VA should be useless. But I agree that at different language versions would be nice, just to have the UI consistent for people who use a non-english VS.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2004 :  7:04:42 PM  Show Profile
I wouldn't go that far and call VA_X useless without german translation...
It would be nice to have an option to select the language, you know?

You get around the translations of the errors etc. very quickly cause they sometimes seem to be translated "word by word" and don't really make sense in german... and the Help (at least on my VS .NET 2003) is mostly english anyway, so you get the "right" error-message after looking up the # in the Help...

Technical english is a must( at least when you write programs for Windows, since the MSDN is (thank god) in english. I wouldn't want to imagine a translated MSDN... it's hard to understand in english, but I know the translations Microsoft delivered to it's customers... Ever seen a Windows Errormessage both in english and german? You'd laugh off your a$$... ), but dealing with all the english terms in the API-Docs is hard enough. I don't want to have my Tools in english, too... I can work with them, yes, but it would be better if they were in my native language...

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2004 :  8:31:41 PM  Show Profile
Just imagine:

Anmerkungen: Das G++ltigkeitserkl+?rungmodell hat drei Eigenschaften,
das strenge, informatives und Status. Streng, erlaubt nicht das
 Mischen der G++ltigkeitserkl+?rungarten, informativ stellt eine 
Warnung zur Verf++gung, wenn das Schema oder das DTD nicht gefunden 
werden k+?nnen, und Status liefert Warnungen, wenn 
G++ltigkeitserkl+?rung nicht f++r Elemente und Attribute von den 
Schemata durchgef++hrt werden kann. Wenn ein Schema oder ein DTD zur 
Verf++gung gestellt wird, k+?nnen die SchemaType Eigenschaft und die 
ReadTypedValue Methode verwendet werden, um die Art Informationen 
zur Verf++gung zu stellen. Wenn kein ValidationType spezifiziert 
wird, ist die R++ckstellung ValidationType.Auto. Siehe 
G++ltigkeitserkl+?rung-Arten des XmlValidatingReader, um eine Tabelle 
zu sehen, das Verhalten von jeder der G++ltigkeitserkl+?rungarten 
genau zu schildern.

In english it would read like this:

Notes: The validation model has three characteristics, which, 
informative and status. Strictly, permitted mixing the kinds of 
validation, informatively does not make a warning available, if the 
pattern or the DTD cannot be found, and status supplies warnings, if 
validation cannot be accomplished for elements and attributes by the 
patterns. If a pattern or a DTD is made available, the pattern type 
characteristic and the ReadTypedValue method can be used, in order 
to make the kind available information. If no ValidationType is 
specified, the resetting is ValidationType.Auto. See kinds of 
validation of the XmlValidatingReader, in order to see a table 
exactly of describing the behavior of each of the kinds of 
validation.

Real fun to read MS translation to native languages... (for MS's sake, this was actually translated with Babelfish, but the real translation is not far from it)
Go to Top of Page

robtherat007

4 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2004 :  6:39:58 PM  Show Profile
I code c# using vs studio .net 2003. And I can assure you msdn (90% of it), all ecxeption messages, all errormessages are fully translated to a good german.
Go to Top of Page

robtherat007

4 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2004 :  6:44:49 PM  Show Profile
There is absolutely no problem with the technical english for most german coders at all. But is is really bad if all my comments are underlined with red lines because v_ax thinks they are missspelled. Also there are issues with the date and time formats etc. All together that makes up the 30% of the functionality of V-ax I spoke of.
Go to Top of Page

senseless

3 Posts

Posted - May 12 2004 :  07:51:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm a German native speaker, too. Of course German menues and spell check would be nice but personally I don't care much about that. Important for me (and most others I suppose) are correct character display and full-support of localized VS.NET versions.

Unfortunately I have problems with Enhanced Syntax Coloring which is not working with my VS.NET 2003 German (but yet with VC6). Is this a known problem and/or is there a workaround?

Concerning date format: would it be possible to add date fields which have a prepended 0, so that it is possible to construct iso formatted dates (e.g. 2004-05-12)? (or add a new field for iso dates)

@Uniwares:
You are overstating. Although MS's translations are a bit lousy sometimes, they're no compare to some Babelfish crap.
I think the MSDN Translations (the 2003's) are quite okay, most of it (~80% i'd say) is English anyway.

!!! LINUX IS NOT HEAVEN - BUT IT IS A WAY OUT OF HELL !!!
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 13 2004 :  12:18:50 AM  Show Profile
Make sure you have the latest beta to get our fixes for coloring of German.

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1235.exe

If you need to change date format in our code templates or autotext, you can do so manually.

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/templates.html?more=yes

Go to Top of Page

senseless

3 Posts

Posted - May 15 2004 :  04:07:46 AM  Show Profile
this one works, thanks!

regarding date format: I'd already read your link. Currently, the date fields allow me to construct dates like this: 2004-5-15 but I want them this way: 2004-05-15. Maybe you could add new fields, e.g. %0DAY%, %0MONTH%?

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 16 2004 :  1:57:03 PM  Show Profile
%MONTH_02%

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/autotext.html?more=yes

Go to Top of Page

senseless

3 Posts

Posted - May 17 2004 :  09:38:32 AM  Show Profile
thx!

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2004 :  7:08:30 PM  Show Profile
German dictionary supported in build 1239.

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2436

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000