New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Michal Puczynski
Ketchup Master

Poland
85 Posts

Posted - May 24 2004 :  10:17:39 AM  Show Profile
I disabled VA view as soon as VA got this option, but I wanted to check one of definitions recently and thought VA view can help me with it. Right, but how can I enable it? Turning on the VA view option on does nothing; well it brings up popup to restart IDE. Then, after restart the option is disabled.... I checked registry and found VA enable set to YES, removing the option from registry does not help.

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 24 2004 :  12:18:16 PM  Show Profile
What build do you have?

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Michal Puczynski
Ketchup Master

Poland
85 Posts

Posted - May 25 2004 :  03:25:28 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

What build do you have?

The latest one. 1237.
Go to Top of Page

Eclypce95

2 Posts

Posted - May 25 2004 :  09:35:28 AM  Show Profile
Michal, I'm interested in knowing what you did it also. For each every build since VA X was beta-released, the first thing I do is going in and disable this View window. I don't find any of its features particularly useful and with my Classic Windows theme, the toolbars amidst the deeply recessed split windows are pretty ugly looking too. So if you can tell me how you got rid of this hideous beast forever, I would be most grateful.

To the Whole Tomato gang, Thank you for putting forth the most wonderful product VA has been. I've been a registered user since your 4.x releases.

Perhaps I was being overly glib in the my comments above, but I do find the VA view ugly with the deeply recessed split windows, it does not, at all, fit with the flat window style of the rest of VS.NET when XP is set to Classic Windows style. And I really haven't found the features particularly useful -- perhaps, I just don't understand them.

P.S. Please please remove those silly tomatoes from your menus dialog boxes? IMHO, they just don't look professional. I think of VA X as probably one of the most stable and useful piece of software in my development arsenal, and I hate to see it be any less polish then it truly deserves. Just my two cents.
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - May 25 2004 :  09:51:39 AM  Show Profile
Eclypce, you're not alone in complaining that the VA View is useless. I've seen other posts in the forums to that effect.

The thing which I find really useful in it is the thing which is perhaps the least obvious. That's the fact that you can type a few letters into Symbols in Workspace, and it will find all functions whose name contains those letters as a substring. I use this a lot when I can't remember the exact name of the function, or which class it's in.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - May 25 2004 :  09:53:21 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and the tomato icons are a big improvement over the previous version where the completion boxes and the suggestion boxes had the same icons, so you never knew which one you were looking at. But maybe a big question mark would do just as well and look more professional.

Stephen Turner
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 25 2004 :  10:19:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Eclypce95

For each every build since VA X was beta-released, the first thing I do is going in and disable this View window.

i have it set to autohide. it pops out when i install a new build of VAX, but as soon as i return to my code it disapears from view. not a total solution, but a start

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 25 2004 :  10:22:16 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen

The thing which I find really useful in it is the thing which is perhaps the least obvious. That's the fact that you can type a few letters into Symbols in Workspace, and it will find all functions whose name contains those letters as a substring. I use this a lot when I can't remember the exact name of the function, or which class it's in.

*DOH* now why didn't i think of that?
of course, this works best if you have the screen space to keep it permanently visible. i will have to badger someone at work about that.

support, it might be worth updating the "why VA View is useful" page, quite a few of us have struggled with this question.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 26 2004 :  01:16:22 AM  Show Profile
Option to enable/disable VA View in VC++ 6.0 does not work.

case=91

We considered replacing the tomato icon a while ago. It has since grown on us.

Filtering is mentioned near the top of our pages for the FIW and SIW dropdowns.

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/fiw.html
http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/siw.html

Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - May 26 2004 :  04:22:35 AM  Show Profile
I know filtering is described there, but I think a lot of people don't read that and assume it's only a Drop List. Is there some way it can be more obvious in the UI? A tooltip like you already have for the HCB, for example?

Stephen Turner
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 26 2004 :  10:57:27 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

Filtering is mentioned near the top of our pages for the FIW and SIW dropdowns.

i didn't really explain myself very well. lets have another go.

i open VA View (it is set to auto hide) and i look at it. in the most recently used files section one file has an icon showing an open folder, two plus signs and a box (the icon from "open file in workspace" on the VAX toolbar)

all the other files have a page with a pencil and 3 dots on it for their icon. why are there these 2 different icons for cpp files?

the top file name in this list is shown in grey text, while all the other file visible names in this list are shown in black. why?

i cannot find any answer to these questions on your website.

i look at VA View, and i ask myself "what does this do that i want to use?" to be honest, i look at VA View, i wonder what on earth is going on, and then i let it auto hide its self again.

in his post Stephen said "Eclypce, you're not alone in complaining that the VA View is useless". listing the features of VA View isn't going to help with this.

what we need is some explanation of why and how these features help us program. i need a bigger monitor before i can keep it open, but is there anything useful it can do for me in the mean time?

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 26 2004 :  1:39:31 PM  Show Profile
A FIW icon in the MRU tells you an entry reached the MRU because you selected it from the FIW dropdown. To see other icons, you must have "Include opened files" enabled (Right+Click in the MRU.) Those with a pencil tell you the file is modified.

There appears to be no way to see that a file from the FIW dropdown has been modified. (Icon would be ugly, for one thing.)

We like knowing the source, though we can appreciate not everyone will feel the same way.

Assuming you enable coloring of Views, the top item is gray if it is a symbol, ie not a file. If is a file, you found a bug. Send or post a screen shot, and tell us if you have a symbol defined with the name of the file.

The HCB part of the VA View, ie the bottom, is nice for reading unfamiliar code. It's basically a giant, hovering tooltip. The FIW, SIW and MRU are nice for navigating -- they generally let you get to code quickly.

If you have VS.NET, we recommend making the VA View a tab within the Solution Explorer. (It's this way always in VC++ 6.0.)

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/vaview.html?more=yes

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 26 2004 :  2:58:17 PM  Show Profile
... and did you realize you can double-click items in the HCB to jump to declarations?

Go to Top of Page

Cezariusz
Tomato Guru

Poland
244 Posts

Posted - May 27 2004 :  04:34:57 AM  Show Profile
quote:
... and did you realize you can double-click items in the HCB to jump to declarations?

Nope

Cezariusz Marek
https://midicat.net/
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 27 2004 :  07:56:17 AM  Show Profile
ah, that explains the strange mix of icons
since i always use alt_shift_s for the list of symbols, i have never seen any grey symbols in this list, so i didn't know what grey was supposed to mean.

i am seeing:

alt_shift_s is not showing any symbols called "lincoln info.txt" or "pathology_format.xsl", which is exactly what i would expect.

the space in "lincoln info.txt" confusing VAX is out, since there is no space in "pathology_format.xsl"

how come nearly all of my files are marked as modified? what is the definition of modified? these files aren't even part of the tiny project i have open.

the modified date and time on mtQtDomDocument.cpp is:
04/19/2004 10:43

given that my system date is 04/27/2004, i would argue that this file isn't modified. given i don't even have the project holding this file open, it cannot be modified in memory.

in my experience the modified icon is totally unreliable, which simply added to the mystery of icons in VA View.

Go to Top of Page

schoenherr
Tomato Guru

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - May 27 2004 :  08:36:00 AM  Show Profile
after a little bit playing with it i think:
the modified icon appears for files modified since last clear of the history list
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 27 2004 :  1:48:49 PM  Show Profile
We misspoke. The icon for entries in the MRU selected from the FIW dropdown is that of the FIW dropdown until you modify the file. At that point, the icon switches to the one with the pencil.

Pencil icons have precedence over other icons. Without a pencil, the icon tells you the source of the entry.

There is no way to clear pencils unless you clear the history list. This is by design. A pencil means, "modified recently." It remains until its entry drops out of the recent memory of VA X, ie out of the MRU altogether.

The gray color of unusual file types is a bug.

case=95

We intend to add/improve all informational tooltips in the VA View.

case=94

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 27 2004 :  6:30:41 PM  Show Profile
Documentation now describes icons in the MRU.

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/mru.html?more=yes

Edited by - support on May 27 2004 9:13:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

johndiii

USA
2 Posts

Posted - May 28 2004 :  11:24:55 AM  Show Profile
I am using VS.NET 2003 in a dual-monitor configuration. I normally use the left monitor for the source code editing window, and the right monitor for all of the ancillary windows: Solution Explorer, Ouput, Find Results, and so on. The problem is this: when I have the VA View as a tab in the Solution Explorer, and I close and reopen the IDE, the VA view has diasppeared. However, there is a black rectangle on the right side of the main IDE window, where it should be. Using the menus to disable and re-enable it has no effect.

This is not a huge problem, as I can get the VA View back by double-clicking the Solution Explorer to re-dock it, then double-clicking it again to restore it to its undocked position on the right-hand monitor. However, it seems like it really ought to be fixed.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 28 2004 :  2:55:59 PM  Show Profile
We can get black areas with and without VA X installed. See #9 in our FAQ.

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/faq.html#layout

Go to Top of Page

johndiii

USA
2 Posts

Posted - May 28 2004 :  6:11:58 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I had found that section of the FAQ. I really like to avoid resetting the window layout, as it involves moving about a dozen windows around, and resizing some of them. The default layout is pretty much nothing like my normal usage.

In the process of messing around with this to observe the behavior, it now has stopped happening. I was happening every time I opened Visual Studio, but it has not happened now for six or seven cycles. What I did was: double-click the VA View tab in the solution explorer to re-dock it. Close the VA View by the close button at the upper right-hand corner. Close and re-open Visual Studio. Re-open the VA view through the VAssistX menu item. Double-click its title bar to move it back to the Solution Explorer. After that, it seems to not lose its position any more, even on the second monitor.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2004 :  11:51:31 AM  Show Profile
Option to enable/disable VA View in VC++ 6.0 works in build 1239.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000