Technical Support
 Unsaved file confused
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ondrej Spanel

40 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  06:50:09 AM  Show Profile
I was editing two source files, main.cpp and perfLog.cpp, and my VS.NET crashed. One I restarted it, I was offered by VAX to restore a content on the file main.cpp, which was not properly saved. After a little hesitation I confirmed I want to do this, however to my surprise the content of the main.cpp was replaced by something completely different - and a second look showed it was replaced by perfLog.cpp content.

I do not know exactly which of the two files were saved or not in the moment of the crash.

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  08:09:24 AM  Show Profile
Always say "No" when VAX offers to restore a file. That approach has always worked for me; saying "Yes" has always loaded up an old version of the file, losing my work.

Everybody pile on now!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  11:06:01 AM  Show Profile
i also always say No when asked, since VAX always seems to open a different file. from memory it tends to open the matching cpp file when trying to recover a .h file, which is rather distressing

since this seems to require crashing VS .NET 2003, it isn't something i have tried to reproduce.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  11:19:43 AM  Show Profile
Ha! You have to try to get the IDE to crash?? Hell, I do that twice a day at least. Seriously.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  12:11:53 PM  Show Profile
*hugs wood for luck* 2003 just doesn't crash on my work machine.

VS .NET does crash fairly regularly at home, but i don't do that much programming at home, so it doesn't give me much chance to see this.

you really do have my sympathies, that must be VERY irritating. i am just glad it isn't happening to me.

Go to Top of Page

troppoli

8 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  1:24:22 PM  Show Profile
I've had this feature save my bacon, and I've seen it "restore" the wrong file. I was totally impressed when it worked, and it was worth the cost of VA. When it restored the wrong file, undo worked... but I didn't get my latest version.

On a side note, VS.net is generally very stable form me, and I live in it.
Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  4:07:32 PM  Show Profile
Larry,
What IDE and OS are you using? I can't offer a solution, I just want to be sure I don't ever get that combination.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  6:07:29 PM  Show Profile
.NET 2003 and Win XP Pro. I've used Visual C++ since before version 1.0, and I've never seen anything like this piece of junk...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  6:53:03 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LarryLeonard

Ha! You have to try to get the IDE to crash?? Hell, I do that twice a day at least. Seriously.

*feline picks up the cushion i am resting on and throws it at Larry*!

you talked me into tempting fate!

1 hour after making my post, VS .NET 2003 crashed silently on me at work

then, when i got home i was fiddling with VS .NET and it crashed silently on me 4 times in 10 minutes!!!

that is a new, and most unwelcome record.

Go to Top of Page

willdean
Tomato Guru

134 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2004 :  04:28:18 AM  Show Profile

I'm in the 'just say no' camp as well. Because I type Alt-f-s as a nervous tic while programming, I almost never loose source code as a result of a VS crash, *unless* I accept VA's offer to try and fix things.

Perhaps when WT finally give up with VAX and roll back to the 7.1 codebase, they could remove the auto-recover code at the same time...

Will

Go to Top of Page

Baga
Tomato Guru

122 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2004 :  09:20:36 AM  Show Profile
VAX's recover file saved me quite a piece of work couple of times. But yes, sometimes it just recovers wrong file (or empty one). Because you never know what will happen, i always copy original file before pressing "Yes". It is paranoid, but as this is needed only after IDE crashed, i feel it's better be safe then sorry.

Maybe VAX can do this for me? I mean, copy original (presumably unsaved) file before recovering it? Just to be on the safe side?

Also, because VAX recovers file only when you switch to it, you have to go through all files, opened at the time of crash. Maybe when VAX detects crash-recovery situation, it can recover all files? Listbox where you can select which files to recover? Save list of recovered files as text file?
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2004 :  11:55:49 AM  Show Profile
case=188

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: