New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ether
Tomato Guru

USA
130 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2004 :  1:26:19 PM  Show Profile
Subject says it all. Has only happened to me once and has happened to my coworker twice since we've installed 1239. My coworker doesn't have any other plugins installed, so this it can't be a plugin conflict.

Also, it is hard to reproduce. Seems to be completely random. But when it happens, it just sits there. msdev.exe CPU usage is 0%, so it's not spinning.

I'm baffled.

supercloud

43 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2004 :  9:09:46 PM  Show Profile
I met this phenomena many times.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2004 :  10:38:52 AM  Show Profile
We have not experienced the problem.

Do you have multiple CPUs?

Try to get a call stack for us.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

ether
Tomato Guru

USA
130 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2004 :  3:59:30 PM  Show Profile
My coworker and I both have just 1 CPU. As I said above, it is completely random and I haven't seen it for a while, so it may be a long time before I can get a call stack for you.

I was hoping more people who use Visual Studio 6 would have seen this and maybe they would think to get a call stack for you. The more people aware of this the better the odds of catching it in the act. Very elusive.
Go to Top of Page

JCo

Germany
40 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2004 :  04:21:15 AM  Show Profile
I am also seeing this once in a while. I am using VC6/SP5 on a single processor machine and have normally two instances of MSDEV loaded. If it happens it is always while opening a new workspace.
Go to Top of Page

gear

10 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2004 :  09:34:16 AM  Show Profile
I've actually seen this same behavior when using VS6/SP5 during the registering component phase of the build. It's just like the process never returns. I kill the IDE and reload the project to find everything built and linked, and the component has even been registered. As stated above, no rhyme or reason to what causes this to happen, might happen 2 builds in a row, or might not happen for days. I have an Intel HT processor so XP sees it as 2 processors.

Patrick
Go to Top of Page

Yaron

9 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2004 :  04:16:00 AM  Show Profile
I also had a similar problem when switching projects.

Usually happens after I already switched projects several times.
I also tend to work with two instances of MSDEV open, so it may be related. Not sure if it ever happened with only once instance.

However, waiting long enough (about 10 min in a very rough estimate), the project loading suddenly resumes and completes successfully.
Once that happened, though, future project loading/switching will almost always have the same problem, so I just close the IDE and re-open it.

Not sure if it started with 1239, might have been there with 1237 as well, I don't recall.

VA_X.dll file version 10.0.1239.0
Licensed to:
VA 6.0: (1-user license)
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.0.0.44
MSDev.exe version 6.0.9782.0
Devshl.dll version 6.0.9782.0
Devedit.pkg version 6.0.9782.0
Font: Courier -13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.81.3103.1000
WindowsNT 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 2
Single processor
Go to Top of Page

ether
Tomato Guru

USA
130 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2004 :  12:38:33 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone been able to trap this and get a callstack sent to support?
Go to Top of Page

ether
Tomato Guru

USA
130 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2004 :  1:49:24 PM  Show Profile
I just had it happen again. I ran a second instance of DevStudio so I could do an "Attach to process..." on it, but when I did, a message box popped up and said "User break point called at ..." (don't remember the address), I clicked the OK button and frozen instance was shutdown. How are you supposed to get a call stack if you can't attach to it?
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2004 :  7:59:12 PM  Show Profile
Does the hang occur when switching projects prior to completion of our parsing?

If we understand the problem correctly, the IDE should recover after two minutes.

case=157

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Yaron

9 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2004 :  05:16:00 AM  Show Profile
If you mean prior to parsing from the project that is being switched out of, then no. This happened with projects that are active for some time, when the file in focus has been active for a time.

If you mean if the hang happens sometime during parsing, then it's possible, but I'm not sure. When loading a project there is a progress bar to show the loading stage. Usually the VA parsing status is written to the statusbar only after the loading has finished the the progress bar is removed.
The hang occurs while the progress bar is still there, even though near the end. So it's certainly before VA parsing is over, but I'm not sure if it's during, or if it's just before.

The IDE recovers, but whenever I tried waiting it took more than two minutes. I don't have that great a CPU, though, and if I wait then I do something else in the meantime instead of keeping the locked IDE in the foreground, so it may affect the timing.
Go to Top of Page

ether
Tomato Guru

USA
130 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2004 :  10:52:53 AM  Show Profile
The last time I saw this I was in the project for a good while, so parsing was finished. When I had completed my changes in that project, I switched to another project and it locked. I waited several minutes and it never recovered. The CPU is idle and no memory usage changes are happening when in this state (according to Windows Task Manager). I also had it lock on shutdown with the same behavior. Sounds like it is more about cleaning up after a project is closed than initialization when a project is opened.

I think Yaron is talking about something other.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2004 :  12:49:33 PM  Show Profile
A good tool to help identifying locks like this is the Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com - it can display all locks, mutex, semaphores, etc. and their state of any application. Its free and a must-have for any serious programmer, except if you wrote a tool like this your own

[Edited so link works]

Edited by - support on Jul 06 2004 4:02:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

KirillMueller
Ketchup Master

72 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2004 :  09:42:53 AM  Show Profile
I have encountered the problems mentioned above with more than one instance of MSDEV open (Visual Studio 6 SP 6).

In addition, sometimes the IDE does not freeze/deadlock, but paints a source code window symbol after symbol with noticeable delay (> 50 ms per symbol).

Regards,

Kirill
Go to Top of Page

ether
Tomato Guru

USA
130 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2004 :  10:52:10 AM  Show Profile
I was able to get it to lock by running a second copy of VC6, loaded a project in it, then exited the second copy. I went into the first copy and switched projects. It locked, so I ran Process Explorer that Uniwares suggested. Saw that things (context switches) were still happening, even though the CPU usage never left 0%. So I waited for a few minutes longer and then VC woke up and finished the load of the project. But, now every project switch is lagging bigtime (several minutes). This is easy to reproduce. Try it and you will see.
Go to Top of Page

Michal Puczynski
Ketchup Master

Poland
85 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2004 :  03:12:52 AM  Show Profile
I have similar problem but it does not finish with hang. I just need to wait couple of seconds (more that 30 actually) and I get IDE responding again. I have a project that always behaves like this when loading and very often when browsing classes (expanding class tree).
I am fully sure it was present starting from VA6 (build 1106 I guess) and all the builds of VAX I had a chance to have including 1239).
Building project from scratch does not help, so it looks like there is something in code that spoils VAX loading.

Go to Top of Page

ether
Tomato Guru

USA
130 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2004 :  4:39:05 PM  Show Profile
Support, have been able to reproduce what I posted 2 posts up?
Go to Top of Page

ether
Tomato Guru

USA
130 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2004 :  3:47:08 PM  Show Profile
Have you guys given up on me? Just curious. No response from support in a while.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2004 :  5:48:21 PM  Show Profile
ether, i have tried your steps on VS .NET 2002 and it doesn't lock up. this doesn't prove much, but i don't have VC6 installed to try *shrug*

as for support, there are lots of threads where they never post. i suspect we are proving a bit much for them to keep up with

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

ether
Tomato Guru

USA
130 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2004 :  10:19:04 AM  Show Profile
This is still happening in 1278 with VS 6. It is becoming very annoying. I'm afraid that if you don't fix it I will have to uninstall it and I will not be able to recomend this software to any new developers I come in contact with.

Why can't you get this to happen??? All you have to do is work in a project for a while, switch to another project for a while, then switch again. That is the shortest sequence of events that I can come up with. It will not do it if you just sit there in the project. You must do work.
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2004 :  12:10:31 AM  Show Profile
quote:
You must do work

Oh, no wonder I can't get it to happen

Joe Pizzi

Edited by - jpizzi on Oct 30 2004 12:16:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

ether
Tomato Guru

USA
130 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2004 :  1:30:11 PM  Show Profile
I hope you are just trying to be a smart ass.

What I meant by "You must do work" is that you have to do edits and possibly compiles. Just opening a project and then switching to another doesn't seem to cause the problem, unless it is time related - meaning if you want to try to reproduce it without editing, let VS 6 sit in the project with a few files open for a half hour or so.

The lock also happens when just closing the current project, so it's not opening a new one that is the problem.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2004 :  5:58:18 PM  Show Profile
i have installed VC6 on a virtual machine, for testing purposes, but i don't do any development using it. when i develop at home, i use the Qt library, which is a 500meg install, plus you need to set up the projects to use it.

as a result actually working properly with VC6 isn't that easy for me, but i can run basic tests, which is normally sufficient.

if you are simply looking to try and reproduce a bug someone else has posted while at work, you can run basic tests, but more complex tests, like you have found are required, may not be an option. i appreciate having the IDE lock up is very frustrating, but sometimes these things are very hard to reproduce.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2004 :  9:42:38 PM  Show Profile
Ether:

Yes, I was just trying to be cute.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2004 :  09:55:25 AM  Show Profile
We are still trying to reproduce the problem. No luck yet.

We are walking through code to see if we can spot the problem. No luck yet.

We will continue...
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2004 :  11:11:45 AM  Show Profile
ether:
Can you enable logging on our Performance tab just after you start the IDE? Reproduce the problem. Exit the IDE as best you can. Zip and send us c:\\va.log
Go to Top of Page

ether
Tomato Guru

USA
130 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2004 :  4:00:19 PM  Show Profile
I'll try. I'm do for it to happen as it happens about once per week, but there is no clear cut path to get it to happen.
Go to Top of Page

ether
Tomato Guru

USA
130 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2004 :  4:41:37 PM  Show Profile
Just emailed a zipped log to you.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2004 :  10:57:20 AM  Show Profile
At first look through your log, it appears VA X and the IDE are just generally slow. We see nothing glaring, though we will continue to look.

Watch for external factors that might affect performance, and post other clues if you find them.
Go to Top of Page

ether
Tomato Guru

USA
130 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2004 :  1:15:29 PM  Show Profile
It is slow when loading some of our workspaces, especially the one with 30+ projects in it. That isn't the issue because it always recovers from the load. Task manager shows the processor pegged in that situation. The issue is with the closing of the current project. That is where it locks and task manager shows 0% usage by msdev.exe. This was the case when I zipped up the log file and emailed it to you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000