Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1240/.NET2K3: USUser.dic contents look funny?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2004 :  11:15:02 AM  Show Profile
There are three DIC files in my "C:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist X" folder. When I look at them with a hex editor, two of them I can more or less understand: after some header info, they are simply 52-bytes sequences of words (with some attending data for each word, most of which are NULLs).

When I look at my "USUser.dic" file, however, the attending data contains mangled up snippets of my source code:

checkbox Limit :ODynaset:GXKBKS dCo nt :ODyn 

("Limit", "ODynaset", and "ODyn" are words I recognize from my source code.)

Hey, maybe that's why the spell-checker has lately started ignoring the words I add? I've added the word "it's" about a dozen times so far, to no avail - it keeps marking it as red underlined.

So I exited the IDE, deleted the "USUser.dic" file, restarted the IDE, and added a few words, but I get the same thing. Anyone else seeing this in their "USUser.dic" file, or is it just me?

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2004 :  11:25:58 AM  Show Profile
Yes, me too. I've got stuff like

ifRPRS^@}
          return ^@^@^@^@^H^@^@^@subdomain^@rue;

in there (where ^@ is a null byte). Buffer overflow?

But I think the reason you can't add "it's" too the dictionary is that the spell checker thinks that "it's" is two words. That's why it underlines the ve of "we've".

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2004 :  11:53:21 AM  Show Profile
Buffer overflow sounds right to me, or just stale data somewhere...

Maybe "it's" was a bad example. I have the same issue with "overrideables", "logfile", "checkbox", etc. And "it's" is actually *in* the USUser.dic file when I examine it...
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2004 :  12:52:31 PM  Show Profile
Any news on this? I am completely unable to add words to the dictionary. The red underlines go away, but as soon as I restart the IDE, they're back.

Is everyone seeing this? Wait - is anyone *not* seeing this?
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2004 :  3:20:52 PM  Show Profile
We intend to swap our spell engine in the next few builds -- probably in the build after the next General Release. We expect within a week or two.

Among other things, the new spell engine will support a user dictionary in plain text. One word per line. What a concept!

Hence, we're ignoring this problem for now.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2004 :  3:43:31 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

Among other things, the new spell engine will support a user dictionary in plain text. One word per line. What a concept!

What, you couldn't find a spell-checker that stores its dictionary compressed and encrypted, for added speed and security?

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2004 :  6:28:23 PM  Show Profile
Actually, the main dictionaries are condensed. If all goes well, we drop our installer by 500K+.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Nahr
Ketchup Master

92 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2004 :  03:23:55 AM  Show Profile
Larry: do you have the latest build? The user dictionary was installed read-only in previous builds, hence nothing was ever written to it...

Good to hear that the spell checker will be replaced. I guess that means we'll finally be able to use genitives with apostrophes, and won't get "compatability" offered as a correction anymore. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000