Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SvenC
Tomato Guru

Germany
339 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2004 :  03:13:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi,

in the public forum a new beta version 10.1 was announced. Will it be published to this "Private Beta" forum? I'd like to have a look at it.

Bye,
SvenC

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2004 :  08:37:58 AM  Show Profile
We have a separate, small forum for the initial release of VA X 10.1. The new version will live there for a little while, then move to this private beta forum.

We added you the the small forum.
Go to Top of Page

SvenC
Tomato Guru

Germany
339 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2004 :  12:38:15 PM  Show Profile
First beta due early August 2004? Hihi (german form of ) - nice to see that I am not the only one having trouble to stay on its time table

Can't wait to get my hands on the first beta release...
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2004 :  1:09:18 PM  Show Profile
That's why I always say, "RSN" (Real Soon Now)...
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2004 :  1:39:58 PM  Show Profile
We should do it the "Duke Nukem 3D Way" and say "When it's done."

VAX 10.1 is in it's starting-hole, we're doing the latest fine-testing.
Overall it's extremely stable and I'm sure it should be released this weekend.

Now I gotta clean/dry my keyboard, cause I drooled all over it checking out VAX 10.1

Larry, you could get problems using the word "soon(tm)". As far as I know, "Cornered Rat Software" (Makers of "WWIIOnline") have a trademark on the word, and the timespan (for soon(tm))is somewhere between 6 Months and 3 Years...

Edited by - WannabeeDeveloper on Aug 27 2004 1:54:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

John_H_Bergman
Tomato Guru

USA
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2004 :  4:12:02 PM  Show Profile
Amen, Im ready to download!

John H. Bergman
CTO
SiliconZone

[email protected]

To Send email, remove the .online.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2004 :  07:11:02 AM  Show Profile
if you want to try the beta of VAX 10.1 email [email protected] with your registration info and forum login, and ask them nicely to add you to the group

be warned that it is still in beta. there are many cool features, but also the occasional little bug. i believe it will be made more widely available when it is considered ready for a wider audience.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

ether
Tomato Guru

USA
130 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2004 :  5:26:01 PM  Show Profile
Is VAX 10.1 just a replacement for VAX 1246 or is it a step up like VAX was from VA 6/.NET? If it is a step up, when are we going to get the bug fixes for what are present in the existing VAX software?

This is just my opinion, but I feel you need to fix the existing software and stop adding new features. Once the existing code is solid, then begin to add new features. You need to finish before you create new. That should be every programmer's motto. I'm sure this opinion is held by more than just me.

I'm not slamming WT, but the impression I am getting around here, any more, is that you need to keep slamming new features into the product regardless of the current state of the software. You went from a slightly buggy VA 6/.NET to an even more buggy VAX with a ton more features. And now there is this VAX 10.1, which is a separate beta from the existing VAX. I fear that you have gone and done it again. Please stabilize the existing software.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2004 :  5:47:13 PM  Show Profile
We understand your position.

In VA X 10.1, we replace several pieces of code that forever caused problems. We got rid of some giant, ugly code riddled with if-statements. Naturally, the new code introduces some new problems, albeit minor, that we are eliminating via a small, private beta. Once stability is akin to the current VA X 10.0, we move VA X 10.1 to a wider audience.

We did take the liberty of adding a few features impossible to do without the new code. These let us position VA X 10.1 as a feature upgrade, not just a rewrite of some internal code.

Once VA X 10.1 is stable, we go back to our old mode of just bug fixing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000