New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

obirsoy

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  10:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

VS 2003 crashes (it just dissapears) when I try to open a particular solution. In other solutions I tried it does not crash. The only difference I know is this solution contains Intel Fortran projects (2 static library projects) with 2 C++ projects. VA 1301 was working fine.

Some details about he crash:
When I open the solution, the previously opened files show, then IDE dissapears, immediately.

Things I tried:
. If I disable VA from the VA menu before opening the solution it still crashes.
. If I disable VA from Tool->Addin Manager (uncheck Visual Assist, uncheck start up) and rerun VS, then I can open the project.
. If I create a new Fortran static library(no files), the solution comes up fine. I can also reopen it.
. I can add a fortran file (I tried both empty and a valid Fortran Source1.F90 file) to the newly created project, but i can not reopen the project.
. Now here is the weird part, If I create a Fortran windows application, I can reopen the project. (Note : the project contains 2 fortran files when the wizard creates it), but if I add a new empty fortran file, I can not reopen it. I tried different file names, though the extensions were always [Ff]90.

I have these installed on VS
Microsoft Visual C# .NET
Microsoft Visual C++ .NET
ActiveState Visual Python
Compuware DevPartner Profiler 7.2.0.372
Intel(R) Fortran Compiler Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003, Version 9.0.2713.2003, Copyright (C) 2002-2005 Intel Corporation (Note this is also a recent release)
Java Language Conversion Assistant 2.0 (KB819018)
Visual Assist X
Project Line Counter (Note: This is not active).

PS: I also noticed that VA tries to parse (and color) the fortran files. Is it possible to disable VA on fortran files (extensions are f90;for;f;fpp;ftn;fi;fd)? Note : VA does a nice job parsing fortran files, I mean most of the functions dislay with the correct color.

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  5:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What file extensions are associated with C/C++ in your registry?

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/faq.html#extension
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  6:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have found an evaluation copy of the Intel Fortran compiler, version 9.0.018

i will get back to you when i have this installed into a test system.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

obirsoy

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  09:57:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To support :
I have several Ext* in several places (ie Whole Tomato\\VANet, Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist 6 and Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VANet), but none of the Ext* entries contain fortran file extensions.
Coloring of Fortran files do not really bother me, I was just wondering whether the crash is related to this.

To feline:
Version 9.0.018 is the version I got. Note I recently updated to this version.

Thank you
Orhun Birsoy
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  2:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have been able to reproduce the crash with a simple windows program plus an empty fortran file

case=684

plus i have put in a case about the syntax highlighting of fortran files. this only happens once you have the fortran compiler installed, so i suspect VA is picking up some instruction from the IDE rather than the file extension

case=685

the crash being related to file parsing makes sense, but VA is OK with an empty cpp file in a C++ project, so there is probably something more going on.

i am hoping a fix for the basic project crash will also fix the library crash, but we can test this when a fix is released.

Go to Top of Page

obirsoy

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  6:28:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be waiting.

I have one more question though. Is there a place I can follow the resolution of these case numbers? Since this might be Intel Integration bug, if VA team decides that this is Intel's fault, I would like to report this issue to Intel too.

Once again, Thank You.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  02:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obirsoy

I have one more question though. Is there a place I can follow the resolution of these case numbers?

No, they are just internal references for us in order to easier find threads which discuss bugs we fixed in the newest build.

Makes it easier for us to search the forum for "case=xxx" in order to answer "fixed in Build YYYY" to all those threads.

Go to Top of Page

smf1272
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  10:20:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Has there been any progress in fixing this problem? I am also experiencing this crash with Intel Visual Fortran.
Go to Top of Page

obirsoy

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  11:04:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As of 1428, It still crashes.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  6:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i will ask support about this, but so far there has not been any progress on this.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  1:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fixed in 1435.
Go to Top of Page

obirsoy

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  11:24:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it looks like it`s working.

Thank you...

Orhun Birsoy
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  3:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=685 is fixed in 1446 using new setting to "Ignore files with certain extensions".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000