Technical Support
 Another interesting 1418/Whidbey bug
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

partnerinflight

37 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  8:48:56 PM  Show Profile
Running this on an x64 machine. Whidbey has this interesting feature (kind of annoying actually) that it won't let you edit source files while the app is being debugged. That is, you can't type anything in -- a dialog comes up saying "Changes to 64-bit applications are not allowed."

Fine, so far so good. The problem is that same dialog comes up when I try to find a function by using VA's navigation bar. I can't even drop the function dropdown -- that dialog comes up. Which makes the scenario of finding a function using VA to set a breakpoint in it kinda difficult...

I don't know if there's a similar bug on x86; it's probably worth checking.

Thanks
EUgene

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  4:41:13 PM  Show Profile
by Whidbey do you mean VS 2005 beta 2? or a different version of VS 2005? which language are you using?

using VS 2005 beta 2 and a C# windows program when i run the program i can use VAX's function list menu without any problems.

i don't have a x64 machine on hand to test against, so i will ask support if they know anything about this.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

partnerinflight

37 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  2:09:39 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, yes, I was talking about VS 2005 beta 2, using C#.

So this seems to be specific to x64. On a 32 bit system the IDE doesn't prevent you from modifying code while the app is running; on x64 it does. And it seems to think that pulling down VA's function menu = modifying code. (which is kind of annoying. :)

Thanks!
Eugene
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  3:58:02 PM  Show Profile
one of the developers is in the process of rebuilding their 64 bit machine, so he should be able to test this once he has everything up and running.

Go to Top of Page

Darren
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  1:05:56 PM  Show Profile
I'm running an AMD 3400+ with XP x64 and VS2005 July CTP with VAX1420. I'm having a hard time reproducing the problem. Everything seems to be working fine. I also haven't run into the "Changes to 64-bit applications are not allowed." problem yet but I've only loaded 1 project just to test the problem you're having. I'll continue playing with it.

Thanks,
Darren
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  1:26:39 PM  Show Profile
partnerinflight are you getting this problem with all projects? what happens if you create a new C# windows program?

what is the exact text in the error message you are getting? doing a google search for the exact string only produces one result, this thread. doing a google for the words is throwing up various links, but so far none of them appear to relate to VS 2005.

Go to Top of Page

partnerinflight

37 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  1:07:31 PM  Show Profile
Guys sorry to jerk you around on this bug. I wasn't quite exact when I said I was using Beta 2 - actually it's a later build -- 8.0.50727.9. I'm not sure if Beta 2 exhibits the same behavior.

But I also reproed something like this on x86. Basically it seems to be some option setting that prevents editing the source file while the program is running. (Maybe it's something like disabling edit and continue?)

Edited by - partnerinflight on Sep 07 2005 1:09:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  2:59:51 PM  Show Profile
earlier you said that this was only happening on a 64bit machine. has something changed? is this project specific? have you tried this with a standard auto generated C# program?

what happens if you toggle your edit and continue setting?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000