1424 and Projects
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swinefeaster
Tomato Guru

310 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  4:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1424 no longer parsing through all project files at all. Just stops recognizing symbols in some projects...

?

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  5:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which IDE?
Is "Parse all headers when opening a project" (on the performance page of VA options) checked?
Do the projects use forced includes (/FI)?
Go to Top of Page

swinefeaster
Tomato Guru

310 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  5:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IDE: vc6
Parse All Headers: Checked
Forced Includes: Nope

Upon rebuilding symbol table and restarting ide everything worked again...

BTW it's really useless to have a reparse command that requires you to restart the ide. How about a command that just redoes all the parsing without restarting? My workspace takes forever to shut down and restart...

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  7:15:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many files in the workspace?

Also, "Rebuild" requires a restart but "Reparse" does not - it acts on only the active file. Closing and then reopening the workspace will cause a workspace reparse. (Rebuild only reparses the headers found in your system include directories.)

Edited by - sean on Sep 30 2005 7:18:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

swinefeaster
Tomato Guru

310 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  8:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1194 headers
1052 cpp files
14 projects

I know closing and opening will cause a reparse. But why isn't there a reparse workspace command so you don't have to close an reopen it? That would be great to have if and when VAX decides to go nuts.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Jacobi

23 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  1:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm getting the same problem in VS 2005 Beta 2 as well. I have to open the header in the editor so VAX can recognize the symbols in a different project. It's quite frustrating because things like NULL get a nasty red line under em.

It's a jam project so there's nothing really wonky with the project settings. VS is essentially used to edit the code in an organized fashion.
Go to Top of Page

Jacobi

23 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  1:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, the projects where VAX couldn't find the symbols were all in a solution folder. Moving those projects to the root of the solution fixed my problem.

I have NULL back, yay!
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  1:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is a jam project?

Can you describe the before and after solution layout?
Go to Top of Page

Jacobi

23 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  1:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jam is a lot like makefiles (i.e. the actual compiling is done outside of vs- in cygwin in my case) so the solution/projects are nothing more than containers of files for the editor.

Before the solution looked like this (forgive my ASCII art):

Solution Root
|
+- Libs Folder
|  +-Lib A Project
|  | +- Lib A Source
|  +-Lib B Project
|  | +- Lib B Source
|  +-Lib C Project 
|  | +- Lib C Source
|  (etc)
|
+- App
   +- App Source

The bug was that any projects in the Libs folder (Lib A, Lib B, etc) were not being parsed by VAX unless I explicitly opened each file. So any files in app source could not reference the symbols in Lib A source, Lib B source etc.

Now it looks more like this:

Solution Root
|
+-Lib A Project
|  +- Lib A Source
+-Lib B Project
| +- Lib B Source
+-Lib C Project 
| +- Lib C Source
|(etc)
|
+- App
   +- App Source

And all the libs (Lib A, Lib B, etc) are now parsed when VS is opened. There still seems to be some bugs with the parsing itself, but I'll post the info I have on that as soon as I have it.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  2:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had you properly set the Additional Include Directories setting for the App project? Seems like they might not have included the "libs folder" portion of required paths. Depending on how the App project actually includes the lib headers, you would have needed to specify up to 3 additional include dirs.
Go to Top of Page

Jacobi

23 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  2:26:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's nothing in the include search path on any of the projects and each project is setup as a makefile project, including the app project. Note that "Libs Folder" is just a solution folder, not an actual folder on the disk, since there are quite a few libs and we want to organize the solution a little nicer.

Given that it's working properly now I don't see that setting those paths is really necessary. Plus there are a lot of various lib folders and adding them all individually would be a giant hassle. I'd rather VAX just parsed whatever files are contained in the solution for symbol information instead of me having to add each and every path where it should look for them.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  3:42:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have "Parse all headers when opening a project" (on the performance page of VA options) checked?

So you didn't move the projects and files on disk? You just rearranged the solution and then it started working?
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  3:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In your ascii art, there are labels that say project - but those aren't IDE projects, is that right?
Go to Top of Page

Jacobi

23 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  4:53:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Posted - Oct 05 2005 : 3:47:10 PM In your ascii art, there are labels that say project - but those aren't IDE projects, is that right?

I believe they are if I take your meaning of IDE project to be correct

Basically:

___ Project = .vcproj file
___ Source = collection of .h/.cpp files

(App is also a .vcproj as well) Our libs are broken up into various projects depending on which modules we want to use, hence having so many in the solution file.

quote:
Do you have "Parse all headers when opening a project" (on the performance page of VA options) checked?

Yes.

quote:
So you didn't move the projects and files on disk? You just rearranged the solution and then it started working?

Correct. Bizzare, huh?
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  5:04:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes bizarre. Your first ascii art shows a solution that contains a project and a folder (which contains more projects). I can't figure out how to add a folder to a solution - how did you do that?

VA doesn't parse the solution like it does the projects. We get a list of projects from the IDE using the VSIP extensibility API. Maybe the solution folder prevented the API from working properly (since rearranging the elements of the solution should not have any affect on VA)?
Go to Top of Page

Jacobi

23 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  5:15:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's how I added the folder:

I agree; there's gotta be something weird going on with how it presents the available projects when using these folders since nothing else is different.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  5:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ugghh - I missed the part about you using VS2005...
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  5:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok - just tested vs2005 rc1 and the Solution Folder does not seem to be a problem; I didn't need to have "Parse all headers" checked either. If you think of it, please try again with the old solution layout when you update vs2005.
Go to Top of Page

Jacobi

23 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  2:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reviving this old topic here. We finally upgraded to the release version of VS2005 (whew) and the problem still exists exactly as before (doh). I've created a test case solution, which can be found here: http://cpnkegel.shackspace.com/wtTestCase.zip

If you open the solution file and don't open any source files other than UserProject.cpp in the editor you should notice several things:

• The FolderProject namespace is not found while the RootProject namespace is

• If you go to files in workspace the FolderProject files are not listed

• The FolderProject symbols are not listed in the symbols in workspace dialog

Of course if you open the FolderProject source file it's parsed and the above issues go away.

I'm using VS 2005 version 8.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200). I'm also now using VAX version 1438. Does the test case reproduce this on your end?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  5:02:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am seeing the same things you are reporting using VS2005 professional and VA 1438. in addition i am also getting a duplicate entry in OFIW for "UserProject.cpp". is this just me, or are you also seeing this duplicate?

opening the "FolderProject.h" file has no effect on this duplicate.

case=949

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Jacobi

23 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2006 :  5:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see this duplication as well.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2006 :  3:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interesting. i have listed the duplication along side the other problems, so it will be interesting to see if a fix for the project in a folder fixes this duplicate item as well.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  01:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the duplicate item is unrelated - case=952
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  2:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both problem in this thread, cases 949 and 952, are fixed in 1440.
Go to Top of Page

swinefeaster
Tomato Guru

310 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  4:52:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sweet! so let us have it already... this one keeps kickin me in the butt.

Go to Top of Page

Jacobi

23 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  4:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this link in another thread:

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1440.exe

Dunno if its the final build to be released or not but I've been using it all morning without any problems. Will probably get the offically released one too just to be safe :)
Go to Top of Page

swinefeaster
Tomato Guru

310 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  8:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice catch! thanx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page