Technical Support
 Context/Definition fields visible in design mode
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike Kelly

12 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  08:49:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Edit an ASP.NET Web Form in VS2005 and load it first in the Designer View. Notice no VAX Context/Definition field. Now switch to Code View. The Context/Definition fields display correctly. Switch back to Design View. The fields are still visible, even though they are practically useless in this mode.

The problem is that they hide the top part of the form. Moving the fields to the bottom of the screen makes it worse since then the HTML tag bar is covered up, in both modes!

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  12:30:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
using VS 2005 beta 2 and VA 1428 i have created a new "ASP .NET web service" project. on the design page i have added a button to the big grey screen i have. this does not look much like what i would call a form, but i have never used ASP or web services before.

when i swap to the code view i get the VA wizard bar, but when i swap back to design view (i am clicking on the tabs with the mouse) the wizard bar disappears as expected.

am i doing the right thing? remember i am out of my area with ASP, so don't assume i know what you are talking about

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Mike Kelly

12 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  04:25:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
> am i doing the right thing?

No. But let me walk you through the process. I'm presuming that what you called the "Wizard bar" is the same one that I referred to, i.e. Context/Definition fields.

1. Create a new "ASP.NET Web Site" (not web service).
2. The "Default.aspx" page probably opens up in code view. Close this window.
3. Right-click "Default.aspx" in the Solution Explorer and select "View Designer". You should now see a blank "page" with "Design" and "Source" buttons in a bar directly below it. Notice no wizard bar.
4. Add a standard Button to the page by dragging it from the Toolbox.
5. Click the "Source" button in the bar. The window jumps to the source for the web page. The wizard bar is now visible. The window, being a code window, has resized correctly to accommodate it.
6. Click the "Design" view in the bar. Now you see the empty white page again with the button, but this time the wizard bar is still visible. The fields, however, are empty. And the button is partially hidden behind the bar. Notice that the VS navigation bar has been hidden. This should be the behaviour of the wizard bar.

If you set the VAX option to display the wizard bar at the bottom of source windows, then the bar at the bottom with "Design" and "Source" is hidden by the wizard bar.

PS. I should have posted this in the General Release forum, since this behaviour was already present in VAX 1418. Sorry :-)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  7:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i cannot create this type of project on my test machine, but i am setting up a new test machine at the minute. i will try and get this to work this time. i have tried before, but never quite got there, for some reason.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  6:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have just finished installing everything on a clean win2k test machine, with IIS installed. i am not given the option to create an ASP.NET web site project in VS 2005 beta 2. i have the web service option though.

re-running the VS 2005 beta installer, and going to add/remove components, i only have top level options. i am not seeing any ability to select sub components. my install is:

Visual Web Developer (ASP.NET 2.0) = installed

Visual Basic = installed
Visual C++ = installed
Visual C# = installed
Visual J# = not installed

smart device programmability = not installed

there is not a lot of flexibility here. any idea what i have not done, or what i am missing, that is preventing me from creating one of these projects?

Go to Top of Page

Mike Kelly

12 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  02:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am running VS2005 Team Suite RC from an MSDN subscription. However, this behaviour was present in beta 2 already. In my vs2005, when I drop down the "File" menu, I get "New Project ..." and "New Web Site...". Choosing the latter I am presented the option of creating an "ASP.NET Web Site".

Which version of VS2005 are you running? Where did you get yours?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  4:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am currently running VS 2005 beta 2, downloaded from MSDN. i will go looking for a read me file and see if i can work out what is going on here. i see enough references to people developing things with ASP.NET at codeproject to suggest that there is something i have not done.

now i just have to find out what that something is.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  5:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*DOH* i was going file menu -> new -> project
i did not even realise there was a website option under new. i have never used it, or looked for it before file this one under "learn something new every day"

case=866

Go to Top of Page

Mike Kelly

12 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  02:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know the feeling
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  3:02:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am glad it is not just me

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  1:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Content and Definition no longer appear when editing HTML/ASP in build 1445.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000