Add-in Conflict
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

greybeard

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  5:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all. I am creating a Visual Studio .NET 2003 add-in with C++. While writing and debugging it, Visual Assist was recommended by a colleague. I downloaded and installed:
======================================
VA_X.dll file version 10.2.1434.0 built 2005.11.25
Licensed to:
VA X:
VA.NET 7.1:
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.3.0
VATE.dll version 1.0.4.2
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2180
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
Single processor

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\SDK\\v1.1\\include;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:
=========================================
Upon launching the IDE and starting my add-in with debugging, I was presented with a message stating that there was no source code available at the location. This was at a breakpoint that had worked previously. As a matter of fact, I could not put breakpoints anywhere.

I uninstalled Visual Assist and my IDE functionality was restored. I suspect there is a conflict between Visual Assist and the add-in I am developing. How do I determine if that is the case? Is there a recommended solution so that these add-ins may work together? I could not find any reference to this problem in any forum topics or the knowledge base. I apologize if there are instructions in the documentation that provide guidance in creating add-ins with Visual Assist.

Thanks for any help.

---greybeard

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  11:06:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We believe your test confirmed there is a conflict.

Might you be running a system debugger?
Go to Top of Page

greybeard

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  12:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am unsure if I can answer your question. I used the Visual Studio .NET 2003 Extensibility Project Wizard to create my add-in with all the wizard defaults. I then began to just write code and not muck with option settings. I apologize if I did not supply enough information but this is my _first_ experience with add-ins _and_ Visual Assist. Thanks for your interest.

---greybeard
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  5:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We can reproduce what you see.

You start another IDE under the debugger to test your add-in. That 2nd IDE (the debugee) loads also VA X -- or attempts to do it. You get an error from the debugger that you have no source for VA X, which is obviously correct. If you continue, you get another error stating you cannot debug VA X for security reasons. (This is by design.) If you continue again, the debugee IDE runs as expected -- your add-in should be loaded and VA X is not loaded.

You might change settings in your IDE to have VA X not load at startup-up. (Use Tools|Add-in Manager.) This way, you don't get errors when starting a debugee IDE. Of course, you'll need to load VA X manually, i.e. after startup, in the debugger IDE.
Go to Top of Page

greybeard

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  10:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent! My problem is solved. Thanks so very much for your help. You just made a new customer.

---greybeard
Go to Top of Page

greybeard

USA
6 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  2:09:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have now migrated to Visual Studio 2005 and ran into the exact same problem. Unfortunately, the previous solution did not work for I cannot uncheck the options that load Visual Assist at startup. When I do and close the Tools|Options dialog, I get the same error. I relaunch the add-in manager and both checkboxes are again checked. I disabled Visual Assist and reloaded the IDE but the problem persists. Is there something else wrong or is this problem related? I do want to uninstall Visual Assist yet so I thought I would check here first.

Thanks,

---greybeard
Go to Top of Page

bugfix
Tomato Guru

Germany
324 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  3:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh well another useless copy protection which only hinders the paying costumers...

just open 2nd instance of ide and attach to process from 1st instance.
set your addin to manual load and load it after attaching to ide.

another way is to dump, rebuild and patch vax but that's out of scope here:)

-bugfix

http://www.mf-sd.de
Go to Top of Page

greybeard

USA
6 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  4:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
-bugfix,
Thanks for your reply but I'm still not clear on when I "Start Debugging" and from which IDE. I apologize if my post was not clear but I want to set a breakpoint in my add-in and Start Debugging without getting the error message stating that there is no source for the selected location. I can't seem to guess at the appropriate combination of option settings and procedure to use in order to debug my add-in using Visual Assist installed. I believe this means my next test should be after uninstalling Visual Assist. Copy protection is nice but if it renders a rather expensive tool useless then it must leave my toolbox.

Hopeful for any help,
---greybeard
Go to Top of Page

bugfix
Tomato Guru

Germany
324 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  5:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need a hardcoded breakpoint: __asm int 3

I've never coded an addin but I assume there is some kind of entrypoint function just put there an __asm int 3. This will trigger ide debugger and thanks to pdb resolving you'll be able to debug and set breakpoints like you're used to.

To summarize:
-enable manual load of your addin
-load your solution in 1st ide instance
-start a 2nd ide instance
-from 1st instance attach 2nd ide process
-in 2nd instance load your addin
-now in 1st instance you should get a debug trigger from the __asm int 3

or code an addin that disables vax debug checks:)

-bugfix

http://www.mf-sd.de
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  8:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VS2005 behaves differently than vs2002/3 - it won't let you modify addin startup behavior if the addin is registered via the registry in HKLM (for all users) - the addin manager silently ignores your selection. You can modify the relevant value manually (if you have permission) - either via regedit or a reg script.

At
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\8.0\\Addins\\VAssistNET.Connect8
change LoadBehavior from 1 to 0 to prevent VA from loading.
Go to Top of Page

greybeard

USA
6 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  10:41:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sean,
Excellent! You have the solution that works for me.
I leave the load behavior of my add-in to 1 which is what I want. By default, the load behavior for VA is set to 1 so it loads in my debugging environment when I launch Visual Studio and load my solution. Before starting to debug my add-in, I go back to the Windows Registry and set the load behavior for VA to 0. That works perfectly! Thank you very much.

Of course, I need to remember to set the load behavior of VA back to 1 when I'm done and before I launch VS again. After VS is launched, you can't get VA to load because VS won't let you change the add-in options.

---greybeard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000