New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wrongway
Tomato Guru

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  12:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are using VS 2003 here and last week (using 1437) I was able to place my cursor on an object and jump to it using Alt+G. I found the class and opened it up. Now when I do an Alt+G, it jumps to it. It seems that the parsing is not being generated on VS startup.

I went back and asked VAX to rebuild the symbol DB and it still did not parse.

One other thing, I am also noticing that not all the methods are showing up in the context pull down.

These are in C# files.

Wrongway

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  4:57:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are you able to produce more details on either problem? the alt-g problem sounds more difficult to pin down, but for the alt-m list can you try opening this cs file on its own, and see if you get the same problem?

if you do can you set VA to show the methods in file order, and then see how much of the file you can remove and still get this problem? i am hoping you can get the file small enough that you can post it or email it to me without concern.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Wrongway
Tomato Guru

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2005 :  09:56:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will jump to using Alt+G if I have opened the file that contains the class. But, it won't until it has been opened once.

Wrongway
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2005 :  3:55:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
which directory is the file in? it sounds like VA does not know about this file or more likely it does not know about the directory that contains this file.

is this file part of your solution, or is it a library file that you are ultimately linking against? if it is a library file, how are you telling VA and the IDE about this library and its source code?

Go to Top of Page

Wrongway
Tomato Guru

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  10:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are in different directories.

Wrongway
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  3:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to move forwards it helps if i can reproduce the problem. if i am going to do that you are going to have to help me understand what is going on in this situation.

Go to Top of Page

Wrongway
Tomato Guru

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2005 :  11:05:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have a solution with multiple projects in multiple locations. Open one C# file and find an object whose source file is in a different location. Try the Alt+G to go to that object. For me it won't open the file. If I go and open that file then close and try the Alt+G, it will open it.

Wrongway
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  4:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have setup the following test situation. using VS 2003 and VA 1438 i have an existing C# windows application, who's code lives in the directory:

E:\\common_share\\code\\cd_data_index

and i have a new C# console application that lives in the directory:

E:\\common_share\\code\\c_sharp_console

i then added the cd_data_index project to the c_sharp_console solution, and added the line of code:

FelineDracoform.CDDataIndex.FileIndex index;

to the Main function in the main.cs function in the console project. i made sure this was the only open file then closed and re-loaded the IDE. if i understand correctly then this should replicate your situation. when i pressed alt-g on the class "FileIndex" on this line of code i was instantly taken to the class definition in the other project.

does this problem show up all of the time for you? or does it only show up for some classes? it is possible there is some additional factor that is needed to reproduce it.

Go to Top of Page

Wrongway
Tomato Guru

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  10:38:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you close all the files, then close VS. Reopen VS, then one file and try the Alt+G?

Wrongway
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  5:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i did not try that exact combination last time, but i have just tested it. alt-g still works perfectly for me. are you in a position to set up a small test, similar to the one i performed, to see if you still get this problem?

if you email me via the forum i can reply to the email, with an attached zip of the two small projects attached so you can try the same test on your system.

it could be that alt-g only fails under certain conditions.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000