New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

daniel.hampe

Germany
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  08:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I get a wrong tooltip if I want to call a method with MC++ in the following situation:

I have to include a 3rd-party Header file into my project which contains a typedef as the following:

File "thirdParty.h"
typedef struct
{				
	int Number;
	char String[256]; /* must be terminated by '\\0' */
} TEST_STRUCT;

Now if I try to call the tooltip for String::Format, I get the comment from the TEST_STRUCT.String - member. Only if I use full quallified namespace (System::String::Format) the tooltip shows the parameter list of String::Format.
(Remarks: in the following code sample, this is the cursor: |

File "test1.cpp"
#using <mscorlib.dll>
using namespace System;

#inlcude "thirdParty.h"

int _tmain()
{
	String *s;
	s = String::Format(|) // -> tooltip shows the comment of TEST_STRUCT.String which is wrong in this context
	s = System::String::Format(|) // -> tooltip shows the parameter list of String::Format

return 0;
}

Is there a workaround?

Regards Daniel

I am using Visal Studio .Net 2003 (German) v7.1.3088
Following the VAX info:

VA_X.dll file version 10.2.1440.0 built 2006.01.17
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (2-user license) Support ends 2006.09.08
VA.NET 7.1:
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.2.0
VATE.dll version 1.0.4.12
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2180
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
Single processor

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
d:\\entwicklung\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\include;
d:\\entwicklung\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
d:\\entwicklung\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
d:\\entwicklung\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
d:\\entwicklung\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\SDK\\v1.1\\include;

Library Includes:
d:\\entwicklung\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
d:\\entwicklung\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
d:\\entwicklung\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  3:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
using VS2003, VA 1440 and a managed C++ command line program i cannot reproduce this. i have the two files, setup as you describe.

i have closed and reloaded the IDE to make sure that VA has caught up with things.

when i type the function call, or place the caret between the brackets and press CTRL-SHIFT-SPACE i get the parameter info tooltip from the IDE its self. i know this is from the IDE since it has the up and down arrows at the front of the tooltip.

when you do this do you have arrows at the front of the parameter tooltip for the second function call? can you try disabling VA and pressing CTRL-SHIFT-SPACE in each function call to see if that makes any difference?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

daniel.hampe

Germany
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  02:05:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried to produce this error again and took the code from my sample above (I also removed the "thirdParty.h" from my project so it only was be included within in file "test1.cpp"). I cleared the VA history, rebuilt the VA database, closed and reloaded the IDE. The tooltips showed the info you described.
But then I realised that I've produced a spelling error in the 4th line of test1.cpp:
#inlcude "thirdParty.h"
should be:
#include "thirdParty.h"
After I corrected the spelling, the tooltip shows the same behavior as I described :-(
I also deleted the ncb-file of the solution, cleared and rebuilt VA database and closed and reloaded the IDE again. The same thing ...
... if I disable VA the tooltips are correct ...

Maybe you also overlooked my spelling-error ;-)
Would you check again please?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  3:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is odd. instead of just typing the #include line i let VA suggest it as i went along, so my line was spelt correctly. by the sounds of it my test should be accurate, but obviously it is not.

what sort of MC++ project are you using? have you simply created a new MC++ command line application, or have you done something different?

i am most interested in the fact that disabling VA has an effect on the tooltips. for me with VA enabled i am getting tooltips with up and down arrows for both functions, which come from the IDE. with VA enabled for you, does either tooltip have these arrows at the front of it?

Go to Top of Page

daniel.hampe

Germany
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  03:29:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When this "bug" occurs, there are no arrows which show me, that there are overloads ...

You mentioned that enabling/disabling of VA does not have any effect to your tooltips. Have you checked the checkbox "Get content from default Intellisense"? I did not so. Then tooltips are different when VA is enabled.
If I check this box to use default Intellisense all the tooltips are correct...
But I like to use the VA-Intellisense, because default Intellisense doesn't work many times.

By the way: For my sample I created a MC++ command line application and I didn't add the thirdParty.h file to this project, I only included it in the test1.cpp file.
I may send you this project and an overview of my VA settings by mail, if needed.

Regards Daniel
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  5:18:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it might be easiest if you can send me the project you are using, then i will know that i have the same configuration as you.

i have just emailed you via the forum. if you reply to that email with the project attached i can then test it here, and see if i can reproduce this effect.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  6:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got your email, thank you. using your project i get exactly the same effect as you, first time, with no problems at all. yet the project looks the same as the one i set up following your description. most odd.

case=980

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000