Underline valid symbol as if they are error
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jcmorin

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  9:42:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying the product and found it weird to have underline valid symbol as if they are error.

Software: VS 2005 Standard edition 8.5.50727.42
Programming Language: C#
Visual Assist X build 10.2.1440.0 built on 2006.01.17

Is it only because some system dll are not parsed yet?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18951 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  4:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
using VS2005 and C# i added the line:

System.Web.UI.BaseParser parse;

to an existing program, which no longer compiles because UI does not exist within the System.Web namespace. yet the web page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfsystemwebuibaseparserclasstopic.asp

quite happily lists this namespace.

having created a C# ASP.NET website project in VS2005 when i open the "Default.aspx.cs" and type the line:

System.Web.UI|

the IDE will not suggest Wed or UI with or without VA enabled. not helpful but probably relevant to what is going on here.

what sort of project are you using? are the other underlined items linked to classes in the Web.UI namespace? at the top of your file where you have your using statements are there any colouring problems? i am getting:

but so far i cannot get any underlining from VA in this file, which is odd, possibly related to this being a website project.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jcmorin

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  12:25:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"what sort of project are you using?"

I'm doing Windows Application and ASP.NET Web Site.

First the code compile and works, this is not a reference issue.

I didn't add or type any include (using System...), those are added by the IDE when dragging control or other task. With partial class those line are not even in the same physical file. Maybe it's part of the problem.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18951 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  7:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i believe part of the problem stems from the IDE its self, which would explain why i cannot get intellisense to work even with VA disabled.

never having created a website project before i worked out how to add a button to the design view of the website, but this has no effect on the "Default.aspx.cs" file. can you point me in the right direction here?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

brian_winfield

USA
33 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  9:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is one of the same problems we talked about in this thread: http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4138&whichpage=3

It doesn't seem to be consistent. In partial classes I have different symbols being underlined. (For example I have a variable with a ToString(). The ToString() is underlinded). In another case I have an imported namespace being underlined. This problem also happens in non-partial classes (just not a frequently)

Feline:
One of the new features in 2.0 of C# is the ability to create two files that hold the same class. (to use this feature the keyword partial is added as a modifier to the class in both files) ASP.NET and Windows forms use this capability. When you add a button it's added to the partial class file that is hidden from you. The compiler then uses this file in addition to the default.aspx.cs to create the complete class.

In your case once you add the button you can then reference it in the default.aspx.cs file. When I add the following to the default.aspx.cs file the Text member is underlined in red.

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
if (!IsPostBack)
{
_lastOnline.Text = "test";
}

}

Brian S Winfield
Go to Top of Page

jcmorin

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  11:00:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

i worked out how to add a button to the design view of the website, but this has no effect on the "Default.aspx.cs" file. can you point me in the right direction here?

This is no declare in web project with partial class.

Example adding a button with click event would write this.

--- file .aspx
  <asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" OnClick="Button1_Click" Text="Button" />

--- file .aspx.cs
  protected void Button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
  {
    Button1.Text = "test";
  }

No where you gonna find the "real" declare of the button like it was the case in asp.net 1.0

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button Button1;
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  11:31:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In related testing, create a default c# windows app and add a new control in design view. Switch to view source and notice references to the new control "label1" are underlined. This occurs since the definition is stored in the designer.cs file, which is not saved until you press Save.

We'll spend some time improving support for partial classes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000