Problem with auto-completion for #include "..."
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

neffl

6 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  12:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all!

First of all: Visual Assist is really an amazing tool that greatly improves coding performace!

I however have a little problem with auto-completion (via listbox) of the #include "..." statement.

I use a custom build system that integrates into Visual Studio via a tool that auto-generates a lot of Visual Studio "Makefile" type project files.

For "Makefile" type projects, there seems to be no way to tell Visual Assist about project specific include paths (in my case other Makefile projects of the whole lot).

In general, my include lines look like this:
'#include "<proj>/include/<file>.h"'.
To get auto-completion support for the "<proj>/include" part, I added some absolute prefixes like "c:\\devel" to the "Projects - C/C++ Directories - Custom - Other include files" Visual Assist options.

Note: on the level of "c:\\devel" I don't have any files but only directories.

Now I face the problem that every time the listbox opens when I type an include directive, I see a lot of files (it seems that all header files of all of my projects show up there) in the list which make it very hard to successfully use the auto-completion for completing the directories (like "<proj>" in the example above) that I am actually interested in. I already noticed that I can use the mouse to filter the list for only directories by clicking on a little folder icon below the listbox. However I am a keyboard centric user and don't know how I can filter the list via keyboard shortcut.

In Visual Studio 2003, Microsoft Intellisense also had problems with "Makefile" type projects but now for Visual Studio 2005, they seem to have done something to improve the situation (see "http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvs05/html/vc2005intellisense.asp" section "IntelliSense Support for Makefile Projects"). At least, the new *.vcproj files have an entry "IncludeSearchPath".

Now three questions:

1. Is there a way to get rid of the files on the first level of the listbox completion by some clever hints to Visual Assist that it should not include all header files of all Makefile projects here?

2. Is there a keyboard shortcut for filtering the listbox content like mentioned above?

3. Any other hints for me how I could improve the include completion for my use-case?

Thanks a lot for every response in advance!
Best wishes,
Markus

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  10:47:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure that I follow all the problems here.

1. no - the only workaround I can offer is to open only the project you are working in rather than the whole solution.

2. no (case=359)

3. remove the directories you added to "Projects - C/C++ Directories - Custom - Other include files" Visual Assist options. Try adding a new dummy project to your solution so that you can set Additional Include Directories that way - adding include dirs for all the makefile projects in the solution into this one dummy project. This isn't much different than what you are already doing, but it isolates the include dirs to this one solution and avoids poisoning any other unrelated solution you might work with.

Opened new bug for support of vs2005 IncludeSearchPath, etc. (case=995)
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  1:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IncludeSearchPath in VS2005 is supported in build 1445.
Go to Top of Page

neffl

6 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  01:24:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by support

IncludeSearchPath in VS2005 is supported in build 1445.

Hey ... that is great news! Thanks a lot for the quick action. Seems that everything works as expected now!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000