Technical Support
 Bugs in the spell checker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ivo

34 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  4:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a weird bug with the spell checker in VS6. I can't get it to reproduce reliably, but it happens about 20-50% of the times. A simple example:
<new line>
<new line>
"The operatio was successfu."
<new line>
<new line>

I run the spell checker, it asks to correct "operatio" to "operation" and I accept, then "successfu" to "successful" and I accept, then it detects another spelling error. The text it is trying to correct is "ccessful", and the selection extends past the end of the line. Kind of like this:
The operation was successful.["<blank selection>]

I would post a screenshot, but don't know how...
Couldn't get it to repro on VS2003.

Also, I can't get the underlining of comments and strings to work reliably (both in VS6 and 2003). I could not get the strings to be underlined without turning the symbols option also on, ever. When I have both options on sometimes I get underlines, sometimes not. For some files I get symbols underlined, but not strings or comments. For other files when I Ctrl+Tab into them the underlines appear, then disappear after a moment. If I start scrolling up/down sometimes they come back. Also, the underlines never appear before I start typing, and they never appear for such text: _T("<text with errors>").

Has anyone else seen such problems?

I'm using the latest VA build: 10.2.1440.0

Ivo

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  09:13:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to post a screen shot either email the screen shot to [email protected] , referencing this thread in the email, or upload the picture to a web host and link to it from here.

personally i just upload screen shots to http://photobucket.com/ i don't know how this site compares to others, but it does what i need.

i have not got exactly the effect you report, but i am seeing some odd highlighting effects with the spell checker using your example

case=1004

i see the same thing, comment errors are not underlined unless mistyped symbol underlining is also turned on

case=1005

so far i am not seeing any problems with this being inconsistent / difficult to trigger though. the underlining will not start happening in a file until you have made some edits in that file, this is an optimisation to try and speed up VA / reduce the CPU load when you are loading but not editing a lot of files.

as for _T(), try pasting the following test function into a cpp file:

static void spellingCheck()
{
    char *pszTest = _T("this stringgg has some spellling errors");
    bool b = strcmp("hello", "i have spellling errrrros");
}

it seems that spelling errors in _T() are underlined, but only if they are also present in strings outside of _T().

case=1006

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Ivo

34 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  1:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"so far i am not seeing any problems with this being inconsistent / difficult to trigger though."

Yes, now I understand the logic - I have to start typing first, I have to turn the symbols on too, and the text cannot be inside of _T(). Until I identified the 3 conditions it all seemed so random and inconsistent :)

The other thing is Ctrl+Tabbing from one file to another. The symbol underlines stay on, but the string underlines disappear quickly. If I Alt+Tab to another app and back the strin underlines appear again. So you are not seeing that?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  4:39:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
now that i know what to look for i am seeing the same thing here

case=1009

teasing apart the various elements can be quite an art at times

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  5:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fixed in 1524:

Underlining of spelling errors no longer requires underlining of mistyped symbols. (case=1005)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000