New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

daniel.hampe

Germany
21 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  05:17:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

it would be nice if I there was an option to choose a background color for Highlight matching {} and () and Highlight mismatching {} and () in the Options menu of Text Editor/Correction. So brackets are much more silhouetted agains the other code.

In VS2005 with C# brackets are highlighted by the IDE in that way, VAX does, but with a grey back color. With C++ there is no gray back color and highlighting is only shown if I complete brackets - if I position my cursor on a bracket, there is no highlighting. I don't care for that because VAX is showing a highlighting if I position my cursor at brackets - but it would be really cool, if I could change the back color of highlighted brackets additionally ...

Regards Daniel

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  10:34:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are not alone in asking for more standout of matching/mismatching braces. Unfortunately, such a seemingly trivial task is quite difficult to implement within an IDE with no real idea VA X exists.

case=506
Go to Top of Page

daniel.hampe

Germany
21 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  04:04:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe the highlighting of [] brackets and " double quote could be implemented near-term?

I'd be very cool if strings in double quote would be highlighted, too:

without highlight: "Chocolate Starfish"
highlighted: "Chocolate Starfish"

Regards Daniel.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  1:30:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW: The IDE options let you change foregrounad and background colors of strings.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  3:49:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
assuming you are using VS2003 / 2005 then:
IDE tools menu -> options -> fonts and colours -> string

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

daniel.hampe

Germany
21 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  02:24:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am already using this for marking strings ;-)

but what I was trying to say was: that an additional highlighting of the whole string during my cursor rests on it would show me more clearly were a string starts and ends - but allowedly in my opinion such a feature would just make sense if I was able to change the backcolor of highlighting ...

I saw this in V2005 with C#, where the whole string was highligthed with a light-grey backcolor when I completed it with the finishing double quote. But when I tryed it right now I couldn't reproduce this effect in the VS2005 C# editor ... this is odd

Anyway it's been just an idea so if you plan to implement a change of "highlight background color" eventually you may consider to activate this for strings, too.

Appart from strings I would be happy if []-brackets would be highlighted in the way () and {} are highlighted.

Regards Daniel
Go to Top of Page

leigh.kendall

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  2:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daniel -

Not sure if this does it for you, but go to Tools|Options, Environment --> Fonts and Colors and in the Display Items: section, select Brace Matching. Here you can customize to the foreground and background colors.

HTH
Go to Top of Page

daniel.hampe

Germany
21 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  03:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leigh -

thank you for that hint - it works fine.

But unfortunately this won't work with VS2005 for C++. Here I am only able to set the back color for [] brackets - and this doesn't work at all :-/

Regards Daniel.
Go to Top of Page

kevinsikes
Tomato Guru

USA
271 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  12:05:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=506 is implemented in build 1721

To control colors, use the IDE's Options | Environment | Fonts and Colors property page. You should see entries of the form "VA X ...". If you don't, use this procedure to restore the VA X entries:

Exit all instances of VS2008
Delete this registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \\ Software \\ Microsoft \\ VisualStudio \\ 9.0 \\ FontAndColors \\ Cache \Restart Visual Studio

For users running VS2005, replace 9.0 with 8.0.

Kevin Sikes
Infotainment Platform Design Engineer
Ford Motor Company
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000