Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kevinsikes
Tomato Guru

USA
271 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  01:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I hover over a method in 1442, I get the IDE's version of the tooltip:

I know it's the IDE's version because when I disable VAX I get the same tooltip. However, as soon as I type the open parenthesis, I get a more helpful tooltip (notice the macros instead of raw integers):

The hover used to work, here it is in 1301:

You might notice the different color scheme; this is because I had to go to another machine -- since upgrading to 1442 I am unable to downgrade to 1301. I remember seeing something about that on one of the forums, but I'm too sleepy to search for it now (rubs eyes).
Neither machine is set to get content from default Intellisense.

Kevin Sikes
Infotainment Platform Design Engineer
Ford Motor Company

kevinsikes
Tomato Guru

USA
271 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  12:08:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention this is on Visual Studio .NET 2003. I have not tried with other IDEs.

Kevin Sikes
Ford Motor Company
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  2:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in VS2003 we have never found any way of stopping the IDE showing its own tooltips. so what VA does is wait, and if it does not detect a tooltip from the IDE then VA shows its own tooltip instead.

my experience has been it is somewhat random which tooltip you get. certainly the IDE is not all that reliable at showing its own tooltips if you disable VA.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

kevinsikes
Tomato Guru

USA
271 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  6:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a definite difference in behavior between VAX 1301 and 1442 though, so it can't be attributed solely to VS.NET 2003 and randomness. If I have some time over the weekend, I will divide & conquer to find out between which two VAX releases the behavior changed.

Kevin Sikes
Ford Motor Company
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  11:18:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am in a position to compare the two versions as well, if you can produce any clues. my personal experience has been that tooltips are fairly random, which can be somewhat frustrating.

obviously though you are seeing something, so i am interested in the what and why.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

kevinsikes
Tomato Guru

USA
271 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  10:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an interesting development: enabling "Get content from default Intellisense" allows me to see the VAX tooltip sometimes, and the IDE tooltip at other times. I have discovered when each is displayed and have created a little movie to show the behavior. (Support, would you please copy the movie and host on your server so I don't hit my bandwidth limit with GeoCities? Thanks!) The IDE tooltip is shown when no other tooltips have been displayed in the last few seconds, while the VAX tooltip is shown when moving from one symbol to another, where a tooltip was displayed for the previous symbol. Watch the movie to see this in action. Perhaps with this information, WT will be able to track down the problem (sounds like a timer issue?)

/ Edited to host movie at wholetomato.com

Kevin Sikes
Ford Motor Company

Edited by - support on Mar 12 2006 8:26:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  8:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You make some good observations. You get different tooltips depending on how you move, how often you move, where you move, on what you hover, on what you last hovered, etc.

Generally, VA X displays a tooltip when the IDE does not, and we've never been able to predetermine when the IDE will and won't display its tooltip. Sometimes the IDE quits all tooltips until you restart your IDE. The older the IDE, the more fickle the default tooltips.

Tooltips with an extra pixel of leading whitespace are from VA X.

You are welcome to post clues and observations. We'll do the best we can with them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000