Intellisense stops working after awhile
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JefferyS

USA
32 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  11:41:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using VS 2005 with Visual Assist X 10.2.1444.0. I have been having this problem for awhile and havn't been able to see any pattern that causes my intellisense to stop working correctly.

I will be working on a web project and everything is going ok. I switch between tabs looking and working on different files and at some point when I press space bar the popup window will show but when I type any letter the popup goes away. I have found lately that if I go into Add-in Manager and turn Visual Assist off, then go back in and turn it on it starts working ok. Today I was working on an aspx page, had a css page open and a javascript page open. When it stopped working I had been switching between the aspx page and the javascript page. Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks,

JefferyS

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  6:22:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
slightly grasping at straws, but can you have a look at this thread, it might be relevant, but so far it does not hold any solutions

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4451

is it intellisense its self, or autotext that stops working? are you ever seeing autotext?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

JefferyS

USA
32 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  1:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

slightly grasping at straws, but can you have a look at this thread, it might be relevant, but so far it does not hold any solutions

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4451

is it intellisense its self, or autotext that stops working? are you ever seeing autotext?

I am having some problems with autotext. it seams if I type some characters that are unique to autotext (#if) it seams to work ok, But when I type (if) the vs2005 list box pops up and I don't see any autotext options. On the home page of this site is an (if) example. Does visual assist not work like this any more?

I read the thread of the link and I have also notices that the Visual Assist toolbar disapears on some pages. Right now the tool bar does not show up on .aspx & .ascx files. Only my .cs page does the toolbar show up.

Is it possible that the visual assist configuration got messed up? Is there a way to reset all the options or do I need to uninstall and reinstall?

Thanks,

JefferyS
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  4:02:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i may be trying to answer the wrong question here, lets have another go.

autotext can be edited by the user, you in this case. look in:

VA Options -> Text Editor -> Autotext -> Edit Autotext

the tree control shows you the autotext rules for each language. i take it you are using C#, due to the *.cs files. if so look in the C# tree. if you have a rule with the shortcut "if" then "if" should trigger the associated autotext entry when you type it.

if you find that autotext suggestions are not turning up as expected in C# it is probably because VA will not overwrite IDE list boxes. so to give VA an option disable the option:

IDE tools menu -> options -> Text Editor -> C# -> IntelliSense -> Show completion list after a character is typed

if this does not help can you try to give an example of what is happening, and what you expected to happen? the language you are using and file type you are in when the problem happens will be important.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

JefferyS

USA
32 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  11:01:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

i may be trying to answer the wrong question here, lets have another go.

autotext can be edited by the user, you in this case. look in:

VA Options -> Text Editor -> Autotext -> Edit Autotext

the tree control shows you the autotext rules for each language. i take it you are using C#, due to the *.cs files. if so look in the C# tree. if you have a rule with the shortcut "if" then "if" should trigger the associated autotext entry when you type it.

if you find that autotext suggestions are not turning up as expected in C# it is probably because VA will not overwrite IDE list boxes. so to give VA an option disable the option:

IDE tools menu -> options -> Text Editor -> C# -> IntelliSense -> Show completion list after a character is typed

if this does not help can you try to give an example of what is happening, and what you expected to happen? the language you are using and file type you are in when the problem happens will be important.

Thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and unchecked the "Show completion list after a character is typed" and VA started working correctly in my .cs files though I am not sure when the default intelisense should show up. If I hit ctrl-space it will bring up the default intelisense so I am guessing everything is working. Will have to play with some other file types to see what happens in thoes files and will let you know.

Thanks again,

JefferyS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000