Feature Requests
 List methods in file.. always opened
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

luceric

3 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  11:57:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to have a "File Outliner" view I could dock in Visual C++ dotNet which shows an outline of the current file, and clicking ona method name jumps to it. Similar to Alt+M/Context view/List Method In File combo box, but always opened, one click away.

The problem here is that I deal with source code I must maintain, and we're talking about files that have 2000-6000 lines, with multiple classes in the same .cpp file. I usually split classes in multiple .h .cpp, but when you're working part of a large team and legacy code, you can't have everything your way.

I use CTRL+F2 bookmarks a lot, but I don't want to have to deal with anything requiring multple steps, like creating tags. I may not know everything that I need in the file. I may be working with files for a short period of time and never go back.

All I want it to look at a condensed version of the current file, to understand it better and jump around the current file very rapidly. Collapsing sections of that summary would be great as well, for example I might collapse a group of consecutive functions I do not need to deal with, to avoid scrolling the summary view. (if this were based on http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/methods.html?more=yes I'd be using this view sorted in 'occurence' rather than sorted by type)

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  2:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interesting request. i know some of the problems with legacy code myself, you have my sympaties there.

i can see the appeal of this idea, but it sounds like an entire extension / product in its own right.

are you aware of the setting in VA view:
VA View -> Right Click -> Include modified methods

this will add the methods you actually change to the MRU list in VA View. this does assume that you are changing the methods you are interested in, but it will pick out and remember the ones you edit, making it much easier to find what you want in these rather large files.

another possible way forward is to use the comment:

// TODO

you can set tokens (in VS2003) via:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Task list

and these will show up in the task list, depending on how you filter it.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  5:03:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... and our "Move Scope" feature might help a little.

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/move.html?more=yes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000