Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mtpudelko

USA
19 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  9:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Similar (I think) to this previous post http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4248&SearchTerms=tooltip, perhaps it has always been this way, but suddenly I am noticing double tooltips where VA appears to be stepping over VC6's IDE-generated tooltips. When hovering over a variable while stopped in the debugger, VA will pop up a tooltip containing the variable's declaration directly over the IDE's own tooltip which contains the variable's current value.

Perhaps I never noticed this before because usually I have the debugger running in a second or third monitor, and the IDE's own tooltips always pop up on the first monitor (annoying too...but of course not VA's fault). It would be really helpful if VA could find a way to pop up its own tooltip vertically below or horizontally next to the IDE's own tooltip. VC's own tip seems to popup a few milliseconds after VA's, so in this case, VA would need to slow down it's own just long enough to see if VC has popped one up in the near vicinity. I am on the most recent build 1445.

Regards,
Mike

Edited by - jpizzi on May 15 2006 10:56:46 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  3:32:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how easily can you reproduce this? using VC6, VA 1445 and a console project i am unable to reproduce this.

i have a memory of seeing this reported once before, quite a while ago, but i was never able to reproduce it then either. if memory is correct the bug was supposed to have been fixed.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

mtpudelko

USA
19 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  4:20:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can repro it on several machines; both VC6, both XP Pro with SP2. In fact, it *always* seems to popup the declaration over the variable value when I stop in the debugger. I tried it on a colleague's machine and could not repro. When he's stopped in the debugger and hovers a variable, he sees the current value tooltip only. He does see the declaration tooltip when hovering over code while not stopped in debugger. His is an identical verion of VA (1445), and as far as I can tell, my VA settings match his (other than things such as #include directories and autotext definitions).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  2:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
odd, but this does indicate it does not always happen, which is reassuring given i was not able to reproduce it.

do you have any other plugin's installed? you can export the VA settings via:

VA Options -> Performance -> General -> Export Settings

which produces a reg file. using this on both machines you can back up your settings, then import your colleages settings. if you are able to do this i am interested to know if it makes any sort of difference.

are the two of you working on the same code base? have you tried break points in the same places? i am searching for something that would explain this difference.

Go to Top of Page

mtpudelko

USA
19 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  10:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I continue to strike out. I first imported the .reg from my colleague's machine into mine -- same thing. Next I did the reverse, and things still worked fine on his end. I also removed all other msdev addins (WndTabs and Workspace Whiz) and *still* this plagues me. It does not seem to matter which project; in fact I tried loading up the same project that works fine for the other user and nothing changes. This is across the board for me.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  5:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the things you have tried mean we can rule out VA settings as a factor, which is a good start. however i am not sure where to go from here. can you produce a VA log file while reproducing this please, and email it to [email protected] , referencing this thread in your email

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/faq.html#log

i am hoping this will offer some clues.

the other obvious place to look is the IDE settings themselves, but off hand i do not know a neat way to export and import VC6 settings. VS2005 has added this feature, but that is not a lot of help here.

Go to Top of Page

mtpudelko

USA
19 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  2:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I just mailed you VA logs. I too thought about IDE-specific settings, but I could not see any obvious differences between mine and my coworker's.
Go to Top of Page

ElvisWong

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  3:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'm having the exact same problem, where i'm unable to see the current variable value tooltip in debug, since it's covered by the variable definition tooltip. Also with Vc6 on win XP
Go to Top of Page

ElvisWong

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  3:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed that the problem was occuring while hovering over a variable name in the debugger but not when clicking on it. I had then only the debugger tooltip as expected.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  4:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have single or dual-cpu PCs? Hyperthreading?
Go to Top of Page

mtpudelko

USA
19 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  9:32:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine is a single P4 2.8 with Hyperthreading enabled.
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  1:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having the same problem. I'm also running VC6 on Win XP with SP2. My machine has a single P4 3.06 with Hyperthreading enabled.

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Whole Tomato Software

USA
74 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  9:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We realize this is a pain but do you mind disabling hyperthreading in a quick test? (Tweaked in bios.)
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  02:56:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I played around a bit. I installed the new build 1446, started Visual Studio, opened my workspace, and immediately started debugging my project. At this point of time VAX was still parsing (I assume because of the new installation) and while it was parsing only the correct single tooltips with the variables' current values were visible. After a few seconds VAX finished parsing and from that on the double tooltip problem appeared again.

I also tried disabling Hyperthreading, but this doesn't help either.

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

mtpudelko

USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  04:35:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have verified that disabling Hyperthreading makes no difference.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  5:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you are correct about the re-parsing. after installing a new build VA will re-parse your stable include directories, which causes extra parsing to take place.

khb from your post it seems that this is very easy for you to reproduce. i am wondering what is different about your systems to my system. i spend a fair bit of time in the debugger and i have never seen double tooltips like this.

do either of you have any other plugins installed? localised OS's or IDE's? anything else that might be "odd" or "different"?

do either of you see this problem in multiple projects? or does it seem to be project specific?

Go to Top of Page

mtpudelko

USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  6:37:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In addition to VA, I use WndTabs and Workspace Whiz, both of which I have disabled to no effect. Other than that, I can't think of anything odd about my setup -- I'm not much of a rebel .
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2006 :  02:11:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no further plugins at all installed. Im using the English version of Win XP, but the German verison of Visual Studio. The problem appears in every project and everytime.

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2006 :  02:21:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can reproduce this using the GC greatcode source code in VS 6 and VA 1445.

case = 1235

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2006 :  11:20:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, another PC with GC does not exhibit the double tooltips.

Post more clues if you find them.
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2006 :  5:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, for me, it happens on some variables, but not others. The one that I can reproduce it on most easily is colored as a macro. mtpudelko and khb, is this where you are seeing it, or elsewhere? Maybe I haven't found it....

Joe Pizzi

Edited by - jpizzi on Jun 02 2006 5:27:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  02:35:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me it happens on all variables no matter what kind of type they are. As I already mentioned, I have this behavior everytime. So, I have never ever seen a correct single tooltip in debugging mode on my machine.

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

mtpudelko

USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  03:33:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can reproduce this on multiple machines with multiple projects, some MFC, some COM, even standard C-interface dll's. Like Marcus, it seems to be *all* variables' tooltips. Repeatedly when I break in the debugger and hover, I always see the declaration tooltip higher in the Z-order than the current value tooltip. Occasionally if I move the mouse around the declaration will disappear and the value tooltip will either remain or reappear alone, but that is perhaps one in ten times. Regards, Mike
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  07:39:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After reading Mikes post above, I also did some mouse move tests. I get the same results. More specifically: When I move the mouse pointer to a variable, nearly everytime the declaration tooltip appears at first. Then, normally a few 100 ms later, the value tooltip is drawn behind the declaration tooltip. If I move the mouse "far enough" away, both tooltips disappear and the game starts over again. However, if I move the mouse only by one pixel, in most cases the value tooltip stays on the screen while the declaration tooltip disapears for a short moment and then reappears again. When I have a variable in one line and a blank line above it and I move the mouse pixel by pixel from the variable in direction of the blank line (i.e., up) then there is one pixel position where the value tooltip remains and the declaration tooptip disappears permanently (until I push the mouse again). Then, if I move the mouse another pixel upwards, both tooltips disappear.

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  3:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very strange. support have been able to reproduce this using the GC code base, but only on a specific variable in the code. personally i have never seen this happen.

i recall seeing this come up once before, but i was never able to reproduce it then either. mtpudelko is there anything localised about your system? khb has a localised IDE.

i am using the English OS and the English IDE's over here, so perhaps that is a factor.

Go to Top of Page

ajtruckle
Ketchup Master

81 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  03:39:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is happening to me too for some time now (on my laptop). i don't remember it happening on the desktop. Must check.
Go to Top of Page

mtpudelko

USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  12:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using all English on standard windows US/English. Nothing funky that I am aware of. Both of my systems where I've seen it have multiple display adapters, but one is used almost exclusively via Remote Desktop, so it's typically in a single monitor configuration when used. When I have the IDE in monitors 2 or 3, the value tooltip shows in monitor 1, but that has always been an IDE bug. When I move the IDE to monitor 1, I see this behavior. I've tried disabling all but a single monitor and the behavior is identical.

Regards,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  06:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, regarding Mikes last post localization doesn't seem to play a role. I guess you are currently very busy with fixing bugs in build 1522, but is there still anything what we can do to help you finding the problem? I really would like to see this bug fixed, because it makes every debug session a pain.

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  6:27:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have upped the priority on this a bit.

we normally seem to have several urgent bugs to fix, so working out which ones to do first is often not easy. its amazing some of the ways people find to break VA

Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  03:38:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, feline. I know how it is when users get their hands on your software

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

ajtruckle