Feature Requests
 Coloring Vc++6
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

List244

6 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2006 :  5:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to suggest that under fonts and colors you add support for changing all colorations.
By this I mean even those in which you can do directly through VC++ 6 itself. I find that it would
be much easier to find fitting colors if you could adjust them all in the same place. Also, it is
a little annoying changing colors with VC++6 as it is. Each time you want to test a color you have
to close the window and if you don't like it go back to it. I think adding the ability to change
these colors from VA instead would really improve this.

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  08:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting idea. Not sure how doable it is, but I have put in a request for it.

case=1239

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  3:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
due to how complex this would make our options dialog it is unlikely this will be done any time soon.

i do understand what you say about finding matching colours, which can be quite tricky. you may want to look at this small colour picker program:

http://www.codeproject.com/tools/colour.asp

which makes it easy to compare coloured text on a coloured background, which might help you select complimentary colours. another option is to checkout the colour schemes that people have posted for vim http://www.vim.org/ rather a learning curve if you do not already know about vim, but there are quite a collection of colour schemes available to look at for inspiration.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

List244

6 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  3:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How come this is difficult to implement? I would assume that it would just be a change
to some settings stored in a local file or registry location. Or is the problem with
the changes you would need to make to your dialogs? (IE add a scroll to see the additional
coloring choices?)

Would making changes to the "All Windows" ONLY be easy enough to implement? This way there
is still coloring choices all in one place yet it simplifies it a lot by removing the numerous
windows you can choose to color.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  7:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The IDE won't recognize changes to colors if we only change the registry. The colors are kept in lots of local storage while the IDE is executing, and we don't have access to those locations.
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  11:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only way I can think of that this might be implementable is if the color selections from the IDE were available through some automation interface (COM?). Then, we could add the IDE's selections to our selection dialog and call the IDE's interface for those colors.

But, I don't know if the capability exists through automation, and I haven't thought through all the details of the dialog, even if the automation is available. As they say, the devil is in the details.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  12:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
None of the MS IDEs provide an interface for setting of colors.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  2:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by List244

How come this is difficult to implement? I would assume that it would just be a change to some settings stored in a local file or registry location. Or is the problem with the changes you would need to make to your dialogs? (IE add a scroll to see the additional
coloring choices?)

assuming for the moment this was easy, remember we support VC6, VS2002, VS2003 and VS2005. the IDE's offer different numbers of things that can be coloured, and sometimes different numbers depending on the current language.

sometimes these things are more complex than they first seem.

Go to Top of Page

alextooter
Ketchup Master

55 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  04:38:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how about this site:
http://www.codeproject.com/macro/devtruecolour.asp
this dll can change the color when the IDE is running.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  4:44:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
note that this article talks about extending the IDE's options dialog its self. what it seems to be doing is allowing the existing options dialog to offer more colours. it is not actually applying any colouring to the IDE its self.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000