New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SnowBoy

Italy
32 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  07:53:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I think I've a problem with Visual Studio and I don't know if it's related to VAX or it's a configuration problem of the ide.

When I create an object of a class I've previously implemented, the tooltips (the comments) about the class members doesn't appear for the methods I've implemented, as shown in this image for the function "AddLanguageDataToXML":

However, the tooltips (the comments) appear for the functions common to every object (defined into the Object element), as shown in the following image for the function "Equals":

There's a way to make visibles the tooltips for all the functions defined into a class. Writing comments for the functions and not being able to see them it's really frustrating.

(I'm sorry for the delay of the update, there're some hours between the two time zones)

Edited by - SnowBoy on Jun 06 2006 02:45:34 AM

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  12:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tooltips you see are from VA X, not the IDE.

What build of VA X do you have?

Do you have "Display comments from source files" enabled on the "Text Editor|C/C++" node of our options dialog?

Will tooltips contains comments if you open the file in which your class is implemented?

Is there anything unusual about the style of your commenting?
Go to Top of Page

SnowBoy

Italy
32 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  03:08:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using the last build of VA X (1446).
I'm working with c#, therefore I think that the value of that option doesn't matter...

My comments style is as follows:

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/// <summary> 
/// Short description...
/// </summary>
/// <remarks> 
/// Long description...
/// </remarks>
/// <param name="ParamA">
/// Description of ParamA...
/// </param>
/// <returns>
/// Description of the results...
/// </returns>
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Class code goes here

However, I've noticed that the tooltips appear only when I work on the same file in which the class is implemented. I don't know why they doesn't appear when I use the same class in other files...

Edited by - SnowBoy on Jun 07 2006 03:09:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  3:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
which IDE are you using?

using VS2003, VA 1446 and a C# project i am getting comments on the member functions of my classes. the comments are being drawn from the comments i added myself. this is working for both the class in the current file and a class in a different file.

are you compiling / generating the documentation? this might have some effect on what the IDE does with the formatted comments.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

SnowBoy

Italy
32 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  04:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I work with Visual Studio 2003 on a C# project. I don't compile them, I use Doxygen to extract the documentation from the files.

The frustrating thing is that the comments are visible only when I work on the same file where the class is defined, but not elsewhere. This could be caused by the fact that I work on a web project (and the comments don't appear in the code behind of the "aspx" files)? On the dlls the things work right, at least with the latest build of VA X.

Edited by - SnowBoy on Jun 08 2006 04:10:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  5:36:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you look in the base directory for your project is there a .XML file, named the same thing as your project?

this is where the IDE puts the documentation from your comments, if it collects it all together. i have one of these files and tooltips are working.

go to the properties for one of the projects in your solution
configuration properties -> build -> XML documentation file

from memory this has to be set to something for the documentation to be produced.

Go to Top of Page

SnowBoy

Italy
32 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  04:13:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know where my problem resides.
I've tried even without VAX and the comments don't appear...

I've set up the project to generate the documentation and the XML file, and the things continue to work bad...

At this time I think that the problem resides in the IDE, but I don't know how to solve it. I spent too much time on this and VA viewer shows at least some part of the comments.
Hence I don't investigate any more and I leave the things as are.

Thank you for the help.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  3:35:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you try creating a new test project with just 2 classes, do you see the same problem there? it is possible it is a project specific configuration or setting problem, or even that the IDE does not like some of your comments.

hopefully a quick dummy project test would shed some light on this.

Go to Top of Page

SnowBoy

Italy
32 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  02:52:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've tried your suggestion and the comments work right with a new project (call it ProjectA), almost when I work with only a project.
When I add to the solution another project (call it ProjectB) with a reference to the first one, the comments don't work in the new project.
Hence, if I define into the ProjectA the class "Class1A", when I istantiate it in the ProjectB none of the comments I wrote appear when I use it.

I think that this behaviour isn't right, and that's a problem with my IDE.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000