New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrJones4u
Ketchup Master

81 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  6:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I've got a project let call it xyz which is located in lets say X:\\MyProjects\\xyz there is also an accent copy of the same project in the directory X:\\MyProjects\\xyz-Old.

Now, and VAX has never done this before, VAX starts suggesting files from xyz-Old which has boggle eyed me a few times now because the correct file is displayed but big chunks of code are missing.

Now, I'm using VS6 and there are no references to the xyz-old directory in neither of the project files nor in any source file nor has this directory ever been opened on this VS6 / computer installation (it just sort of lurks) nor is there any trace of this register in the registry. Also after VAX finding it I have renamed it multiple times but VAX seems to be able to scout them out G?? freaky.

Cu,
Michael

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  9:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you checked the Project|Directories tab of the VA X options dialog? Platform should be set to Win32 if your IDE settings are complete.

VA X might get confused if you open files from the old project from within the IDE? It assumes you want help with all files you edit so it parses what you open. It will likely retain pointers into the old files until you press Rebuild on the Performance node of our options dialog and restart your IDE.
Go to Top of Page

MrJones4u
Ketchup Master

81 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  04:31:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK... I've just deleted the history and rebuilt the Symbol Databases. The directories under Project|Directories are all C:/... something.

I press ALT-G:

the shown directories starting with N:\\... have been NEVER been opened in the IDE and there is NO reference within the project (apart from the fact the the project is located on N:)

This is a totally new behaviour since 1524
Go to Top of Page

damned

Russia
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  3:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also.

I have one or two same classes in same named files in several projects in one solution.
They all are slightly different for needs of the project.

Worked on one project... then unload it from IDE.
Works on other prolect. Try to go to definition of the class.

VAX open files form unloaded project in spite of existing same class and files in current project.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  6:07:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MrJones if the project is on N: where is the source code for the project? or am i missing something obvious here.

to both MrJones and damned, if you look in OFIW and FSIW are you seeing what you expect when you filter the list down to just these files / symbols?

MrJones i am trying to work out where VA would pick up N: from, but from your description it is not at all obvious. are there any references to N: in OFIW?

damned, it sounds like you are experiencing the effect support mention further up this thread, where VA remembers previous files it has seen. it may be getting confused by duplicate class names, with no clear indication that they are different classes.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

MrJones4u
Ketchup Master

81 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  03:48:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

die "real" source code is in N:\\myProjects\\vsmStudio

Just help me here - what are OFIW and FSIW ?

cu,
Michael
Go to Top of Page

bugfix
Tomato Guru

Germany
324 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  03:54:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to check:
http://www.wholetomato.com/support/glossary.html
http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/fiw.html?more=yes
http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/siw.html?more=yes

http://www.mf-sd.de
Go to Top of Page

MrJones4u
Ketchup Master

81 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  04:01:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh... that stuff...

But the "good" news is - nothing unusual. As far as I can see only files that actually are members of the project.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  2:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you open a file from another project, it will get parsed and be accessible from your current project. However, VA "should" forget about these files the next time you load the project untill the files are opened again. There was a bug in 1527 and earlier that prevented the files from being forgotten untill the db was rebuilt.

Mind giving 1528 a try and letting us know if it fixes the problem.

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1528.exe

case=1526

Edited by - support on Jun 30 2006 5:45:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

MrJones4u
Ketchup Master

81 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  08:26:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool! Thanks!

First tests show improvement!

I still donG??t understand how VAX could find these files as they never had been accessed at all neither with the IDE nor with any other tool G?? but who caresG? does not seem to be an issue any more.

Cu,
Michael
Go to Top of Page

MrJones4u
Ketchup Master

81 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  10:49:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Improvement it showed until...

...I now actually open two projects at the same time, each in a separate IDE instance, which share a partial common class base (NOTE: This is a different scenario then the previous issues!).

ATL-G will suggest in randomly order files from the current and the other project and trying to do qualified work is almost impossible as I have to constantly verify that I am actually modifying the correct file.

G?HELP!!! ItG??s driving me nutsG?

Please, please; Add an enable/disable function for this. Or at least order the files: first the local then the external and maybe color them differently or add some prefix..

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  7:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can you give me some help in setting up a test for this? i don't really have a good feel for how your code is organised.

is this partial common base class in both projects? is it a single cpp / .h file pair?
when you are getting this problem, are you jumping to functions that are defined in this common base class, or is it happening under other conditions?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000