Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

straightwaytek
Ketchup Master

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  03:56:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I am currently running Windows Vista Build 5456 Ultimate Edition and I am proud to say that Visual Assist X installed problem free on my Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 6 installs no problem. Everything is going well in Visual Assist X land for me. One question that I have for people on this form is if anyone had luck installing Visual Studio .NET 2003 Pro on Vista? I have been having problems getting it to install and am wondering if anyone has had any luck?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

James Simpson
Straightway Technologies Inc.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  6:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is good to know

out of interest did you install VA as the Administrator? i recall a post a little while ago reporting problems installing VA as a slightly more limited user.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

swinefeaster
Tomato Guru

310 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  1:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what do you think of vista? is it a pig or a fox?
Go to Top of Page

straightwaytek
Ketchup Master

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  1:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I install and run Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Assist X as administrator, as using a limited account is a pain in the rear. Plus it's safer for me to use administrator than limited user. Vista is great, I mean it's not the most perfect operating system ever invented but at the same time it has alot of the features that customers were talking about. I really think that Microsoft listened to the developers especially with their move to remove and prevent ActiveSync installations in favour of the Windows Mobile Device Centre which I feel is better than ActiveSync. One final question, has anyone suceeded in a successful Visual Studio .NET 2003 install and if so how, in Vista?

Regards,

James Simpson
Straightway Technologies Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Rain Dog
Ketchup Master

88 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  12:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I install vs.net 2003 on vista all the time. There have been problems with .NET 1.1 installation but there have always been workarounds.

Secondly, Mobile Device Center does not yet work with outlook, essentially, you can't sync anything with it yet.

Third, I think the most popular "feature" is bold new graphics, which can be easily reproduced using www.objectdesktop.net plus you get more functionality and most definately better performance out of it. As anyone can attest to, if you enable glass in vista, high performance will be the last word you use to describe vista with.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  12:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this puts me in mind of a conversation i overheard the other day, someone was commenting on how brilliant the new fancy looking alt-tab system in Vista is, but that it required a very high end graphics card to work.

i tried what is probably the same look via winFX from objectdesktop, and instantly turned it off, it is a massive step backwards in functionality compared to the improved alt-tab you get with the microsoft powertoy or taskswitchxp. perhaps normal users are not supposed to have 30 or more programs in their alt-tab list to move through *sigh*

personally i have yet to hear anything about vista that really interested or excited me, but then, i was hard pressed to find a reason to prefer winXP to win2k

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000