Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maverik006

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  09:48:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using the VA_X trial, VA_X.dll file version 10.2.1445.0 build 2006.04.12
I'm using Visual Studio 2005 in the C# environment

The issue I'm having, which has driven me to shut off VisualAssist, is that the suggestion list will not do it's job unless I hit TAB or ENTER on the proper correction.

In VA_X settings, Under [Text Editor]-[Suggestions], I have four check boxes selected,
[x] Display suggestion lists and accept with:
* [x] Tab
* [x] Enter
* [x] Any character not valid in a symbol

However, this doesn't appear to be working as intended.

To put it into practice, if i type....

System.IO.FileStream SomeFileName = new FileStream("C:\\\\testfile.txt", FileAccess.Write);
someFILENAME.

.... the symbol SomeFileName doesn't get corrected when i type the dot. Likewise occurs if i hit a variety of other keys as well, including, but not limited to spaces, commas, brackets, so forth.

Please, world... What am I doing wrong here?

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2006 :  12:52:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The issue you describe is not necessary one of suggestion lists. We're not sure. It might be of the "Repair case" feature.

When you type someFILENAME, it there still a suggestion list open with the symbol in correct case? If so and if you press Tab or Enter, does the correct symbol get inserted?

If there is no suggestion list open when you press dot, is SomeFileName a known symbol to VA X? If you click it in the definition, does something you expect appear in our Definition field at the top of the source window. If it's not known, its case won't be repaired.

Do you have "Repair case" enabled in the "Text Editor|Correction" node of the VA X options dialog? You should.

All this said, we strongly recommend not enabling "accept with any character." Since you are trial user, learn to use VA X with Tab to accept. You will be happy for it in the long run.
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2006 :  01:39:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SomeFileName should be known. He is defining it right there.

The first time I tried this, it did not complete for me, either. But, now, even if I close and re-open VS, it works. Clear cache? I'll try that next.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

maverik006

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2006 :  08:58:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Appologies for the belated reply... back from a weekend excursion.

@support

quote:
When you type someFILENAME, it there still a suggestion list open with the symbol in correct case? If so and if you press Tab or Enter, does the correct symbol get inserted?

Yes.

quote:
Do you have "Repair case" enabled in the "Text Editor|Correction" node of the VA X options dialog? You should.

Yes.

quote:
All this said, we strongly recommend not enabling "accept with any character." Since you are trial user, learn to use VA X with Tab to accept. You will be happy for it in the long run.

No. No,nonononono. No.

If this is just a repair-case problem and the "accept with any character" feature you're refering to is something irrelevent to my problem, that's fine, though.

----------

I've cleared my cache and even rebuilt the symbol database. The above data doesn't seem to be relevent any more... sorta.

I've determined that repair-case works as intended when I type the entire symbol name. If I type a partial symbol and use a non-symbol char, the symbol isn't completed.

Given the symbol declaration above SomeFileName...

someFILENAME. // will complete in the correct case and pop a member-wise suggestion box for SomeFileName.
  someFILENAM. // will not complete at all, suggestion box disspears once the period is inserted.

This may be the intended usage of VA_X, and if that be the case, so be it. But this overrides the default performance of the IDE, which corrects the symbol without the full symbol name being keyed.

[edit]

Yet more information: Symbol methods and members will correct without me keying the entire symbol name.

"SomeFILENAM." wont autocorrect to SomeFileName, but
"SomeFILENAME.PoSit." will autocorrect to SomeFileName.Position

Edited by - maverik006 on Jul 30 2006 09:02:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2006 :  3:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
perhaps i am not following. using VS2005 and VA 1446 i have added your two lines of code to an existing C# project.
when typing "someFILENAM" i see the following:

note that this is a suggestion listbox, it has a question mark icon. so long as the suggestion listbox is open, and i have "Any character not valid in a symbol" turned on, as you do, typing a dot, or a comma, accept the suggestion, inserting "SomeFileName" in the correct case into the file.

this is what i expect to happen, given the settings, and seems to be what you want to have happen.
can you confirm that you are seeing a listbox with a question mark icon?

the only obvious thing i can suggest is upgrading to 1446, but i am not sure this will make any difference.

in IDE tools -> options -> text editor -> C# -> intellisense -> selection in completion list, committed by typing the following characters
what do you have? i have:

{}[]().,:;+-*/%&|^!~=<>?@#'"\\

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000