Experiences with VS.Net 2005
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gramster

3 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  7:48:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all

I was a long time user of VAssistX with VS 2003. I found it made the IDE much more usable with no effort on my part. My pgrade period expired just before the VS 2005 release, so I paid up a couple of weeks ago and got the latest version. However, I'm finding the experience horrible, and am wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if this is common.

Its hard for me to pin down what's wrong, but typical examples are:

- the VASsistX intellisense rarely includes the correct completion in its list and I have to type more than I should need to
- sometimes when it shows a completion and I hit ENTER it doesn't actually insert the completion and I have to type more letters (I think I fixed this issue yesterday by turning off Intellisense, based on the VAssistX FAQ)
- it totally does the wrong thing frequently. A typical example: I just entered the completely legitimate line:

pushpinMode = false;

Upon hitting ENTER at the end of the line, VAssistX changed the whole line to read:

panPixels

which is the name of a different member variable of the same class.

I'm about to turn VAssistX off and go back to Intellisense (which works great in VS 2005 anyway), but I hate having wasted my money and would like to hear from others if this is a common experience.

Edited by - gramster on Aug 02 2006 7:50:02 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  7:25:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what language are you working in?

i do all of my work in C++ and VS2005, and have not noticed any of these problems. are you getting suggestion listboxes? the ones with the question mark icons? you should be getting a lot of these, which are one of the main reasons (at least for me) that i have to type so little when coding.

have you tried the latest beta, 1530? it offers C++ refactoring, which is a *very* useful feature if you are working in C++.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

steinsomers
Ketchup Master

Belgium
65 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  06:39:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree VA works in mysterious ways. Every day and on every file it seens to behave differently. I turned off Enter as an accept key long ago. But even then what you type is not always what you get.
Still when I don't know what to type exactly, it's so useful. If it's not sulking. I tried Intellisense too, but it seems to miss many things, like #include completion. And I'm so used to typing . for ->.

I didn't see much difference between VS2003 and 2005 though. The only thing I noticed is what you mentioned about completions not accepted (by the Tab key, in my case).

Edited by - steinsomers on Aug 10 2006 06:41:00 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000