New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bugfix
Tomato Guru

Germany
324 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  1:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a problem w/ VAX 15xx builds and ref++ (http://www.refpp.com).
When ref++ is already installed one needs to reinstall it after installing VAX.

http://www.mf-sd.de

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  3:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
which version of VA were you using before? if you have just upgraded from a 13xx or 14xx build of VA then the installer will reset your IDE. it has to do this for the new features of VA to work.

i am guessing that this IDE reset is the cause of the problems. however if you have seen this problem without an IDE reset then we probably have a different problem.

on a different front how are you finding ref++ ? i tried it a while ago, but gave up on it fairly quickly since the main feature i wanted to use, "extract method", produced invalid code more often than it worked *sigh* i also found it to be very slow. i am wondering if it has improved since then.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

bugfix
Tomato Guru

Germany
324 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  09:31:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im using vs2003. I had vax 1301 before installed (what else:)) and upgraded to 1527, latest my license supports. I've even tried uninstalling VAX before, problem persists.
Anyways it points out that reinstalling ref++ didn't fix it. It works exactly one time, next time I start IDE, IDE simply shows up on taskbar and eats 100% CPU. I ve renamed VA_X.dll start IDE and unchecked ref++ in addin manager. So to summerize I can either use VAX or ref++.

I can't really tell you much about ref++. I was about to evaluate and compare it to VAX which doesn't seem to work:(
So the main difference I've seen so far is that ref++ can work on entire solution which is a major plus. I mean, who is working w/ one project solutions these days? It's either some student or someone who hasn't figured out the benefit of code/component reusage:) The way ref++ does this, well sucks and is damn slow indeed, at least for the first time. I have a solution w/ 100+ projects which takes like 10min+ for ref++ to build symbol database, yuck! Though usually my solutions consists of like 10 projects.

edit:
just tried 1531, same problems

Edited by - bugfix on Aug 08 2006 10:44:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  8:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
only 10 minutes? ref++ had exactly the same terrible slowness when i tried it some time ago, which was one of the reasons i gave up on it.

i would expect VA refactoring to work across multiple projects, so long as all of the files are listed in OFIW. if you are seeing something not work can you post some details, and i will have a look?

as for ref++ i have put this on my things to look into. i will download an evaluation copy and see what i get here.

Go to Top of Page

bugfix
Tomato Guru

Germany
324 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  02:02:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The files are all listed in OFIW.
I've already reported the rename/find across project boundaries problem:
http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4734

About ref++ problem, no big deal for me as I can't use any newer 15xx builds anyways, just wanted to point out the incompatibility issue.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  4:37:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*ah* that problem with rename across project boundaries. i was thinking you meant something else.

with regard to newer builds of VA there are some fixes for VA and COM in 1532, which will hopefully benefit you, should you be able to try that build when it is posted.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  4:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
returning to the question of Ref++, for my sins i have just downloaded and installed the latest beta for VS2003. using this along side VA 1532 i am not seeing any performance or IDE lockup problems.

i have installed Ref++ on top of VA, without any problems, and then i installed VA on top of Ref++, and still no problems.

it has been an age since i tried using Ref++, and i have just encountered their "extract member function" dialog. to be honest i am lost for words.

Go to Top of Page

bugfix
Tomato Guru

Germany
324 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  11:28:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you start ide more than once? Cause for me it worked excatly once after installing either VAX or ref++.
I have some other add-ins installed as well but I've disabled them all in add-in manager for testing, only VAX and ref++ left.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  6:30:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i deliberately restarted the IDE two or three times after each test, to make sure. i don't think i missed anything.
it is possible the order of installation matters, and if you installed ref++ on top of 13xx and then upgraded to 15xx that may also be a factor.

it seems odd the effect is so clear cut for you, but i am not seeing it. are you still running into this? or does VA 1532 get closer to what you need? i can probably find a VA 1301 virtual machine to run some tests in somewhere, but it would take a little while.

Go to Top of Page

bugfix
Tomato Guru

Germany
324 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  11:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've also tried uninstalling both prior to installing when I've first reported the issue.
Same w/ 1532.

I ve attached vs2005 debugger to vs2003 to fetch some infos:
VA_X.dll 1ED00000-1F1B4000 [2280] devenv.exe: Native
> 01e976d5()
ntdll.dll!_RtlVerifyVersionInfo@16() - 0x52dee bytes
ntdll.dll!_RtlpInitializeHeapSegment@28() - 0x21e36 bytes
ntdll.dll!_RtlGetFullPathName_Ustr@24() - 0xac0e bytes
ntdll.dll!_RtlpInsertFreeBlock@12() - 0x37e6 bytes
ffffffff()

01E976D2 53 push ebx
01E976D3 FF D6 call esi
01E976D5 EB D0 jmp 01E976A7