Technical Support
 Lack of suggestions with tricky C++ template type
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

studoot

35 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  04:32:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just upgraded to build 1532 and this very slight deficiency of VAX is still present...so, here goes:

When I use the Boost.Optional template class (see http://www.boost.org/libs/optional/doc/optional.html), VAX does not present me with the appropriate member suggestions when using -> to access the encapsulated type.

Now, Boost.Optional uses a pointer like syntax to represent the concept of an optional value, so in some ways it's like a smart pointer type - and VAX can handle smart pointers (boost::shared_ptr, at least!).

Here's an example:

#include <boost/optional.hpp>

struct TimeStamp
{
u32 seconds;
u32 microseconds;
};

typedef boost::optional<TimeStamp> OptTimeStamp;

OptTimeStamp ot1;
ot1->?

Pressing Ctrl+Space here yields no suggestions, but I would expect to see 'seconds' and 'microseconds'.

Now, I've had a look at the Boost.Optional code...and it's reasonably straight forward, but something's acting as a barrier between VAX and the appropriate type declaration - it might be the use of Boost template metaprogramming facilities, specifically boost::mpl::if_ that gets in the way?

Anyway - I suppose this is a nice to have :-)

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18951 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2006 :  10:53:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
template support in VA is getting better, but as you have just discovered it still has its limitations. thank you for the clear example, i was able to reproduce the problem quite easily here.

case=2154

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000