Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

straightwaytek
Ketchup Master

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  06:24:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I am currently in the process of working out a system that will allow us Visual Assist X users to get notification and download updates to the latest version of Visual Assist X as it becomes available. Would you guys like to see this application be made and released? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

James Simpson
Straightway Technologies Inc.

KirillMueller
Ketchup Master

72 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  4:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried WatchThatPage (or other similar services)? I have set a watch that notifies me by e-mail about any modification to http://www.wholetomato.com/support/history.html , works fine for me.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  5:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
or you can try the "Subscribe to this forum" link in the Announcements forum.

there is an outstanding feature request for VA to automatically check for new versions. this has been around for quite a while. we only have so many resources, so deciding where and how best to apply them can sometimes be difficult.

depending on how your process works, any resources is requires (e.g. a server to ping) and licensing terms for the code i am sure support would be interested, and so would other people on this forum.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  9:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by straightwaytek

...a system that will allow us Visual Assist X users to get notification and download updates to the latest version of Visual Assist X as it becomes available...

I have one big problem with those "Updaters" - for the functionality they provide they are memory hogs. Show me one of those that uses less than 2 Mb. Most of those are excellent demonstrations of how NOT to write software.

None of them makes it into my startup or autostart, thanks to mlin.net (what? you dont have the startupmonitor installed? Which by the way is an excellent sample of sleek an useful application can be - 180Kb working set size, 780 Kb memory)
Go to Top of Page

straightwaytek
Ketchup Master

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  02:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again,
I've just tried out the WatchThatPage service, seems to be doing about the same job as the downloader app I intended on developing. Therefore I will stop working on this project, and suggest that people who want to get updates when a new version of VAX is released, is to follow KirillMueller's advice and signup for that service.

Regards,

James Simpson
Straightway Technologies Inc.
Go to Top of Page

KirillMueller
Ketchup Master

72 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  09:45:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, feline's suggestion (link "Subscribe to this forum" for forum "Announcements") may be easier for registered forum users.

For me, a good update notifier would:
- Never ever annoy me with a message box or even interrupt my work
- Download any new version silently
- Have an option to install new updates automatically
- Notify of an update through a changed icon in the toolbar or a Visual Studio tab window with a button to start installation
- Be a module that is loaded only for checking and updating

But e-mail notification and manual installation is fine already.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  7:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't think i have ever seen a really silent and out of the way update notification in any program i have used. firefox 1 came very close for updates to my extensions, but that seems to have disappeared from version 1.5

i am normally happy to be told a new version is available, but personally i do not what it downloaded let alone installed automatically. i know i live on the bleeding edge of VA development, installing the latest beta as soon as i can get my paws on it but occasionally i run into a introduce nasty bug, so i need to roll back to the last build i was happy with.

the first time i had to fight an auto-update system to do so, i would block the process with my firewall, and consider un-installing the program if i could find a replacement. i may be a control freak about these things, but i have my reasons

it sounds about right that only forum members can subscribe to a topic, after all, the forum needs to know your email address to notify you. the flip side is that the beta builds are only posted to the forum, and not normally listed on our main download page, so this should not be to much of a problem.

Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  11:11:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KirillMueller:

For me, a good update notifier would:
- Never ever annoy me with a message box or even interrupt my work
- Download any new version silently
- Have an option to install new updates automatically
- Notify of an update through a changed icon in the toolbar or a Visual Studio tab window with a button to start installation
- Be a module that is loaded only for checking and updating

Wow. The Microsoft Windows Updater almost fills that bill. I believe the only thing it doesn't comply with is the changed icon. Except, of course, for those updates that require a reboot.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

KirillMueller
Ketchup Master

72 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2006 :  03:43:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When it needs to reboot, a message box constantly keeps popping up. I know I need to reboot to apply the changes, no need to remind me of that ten times an hour. Apart from that, sure

For FireFox 1.5, there is an extension called "Update Notifier" (surprise...) that does a good job, too.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  1:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
most people i know have set windows automatic updates to custom, since if you are in the middle of a 2 hour build you really do NOT want windows to popup a box every 5 minutes saying "i am going to reboot you now unless you stop me..."

it means you cannot step away from your machine for fear of the reboot kicking in and potentially "destroying" an hours work. i have had stopping and restarting a long compile fail often enough that i never do it these days.

as for firefox i recall seeing that extension but i never got around to installing it. i am trying to keep below 20 extensions to try and minimise the chance of strange conflicts / interactions

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000