1532: Find References returns incorrect results
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hwatson

23 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  1:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using 1532 with VC++ .NET 7.1.

I initiated Find References from the definition of a class member function "void SomeClass::Reset()". I think this function is only called from one location. Find References did find the declaration, definition, and single reference. However, it erroneously found six other references, all calls to functions called "Reset" in other contexts. Some of these other contexts included parameters too.

A quick search throughout the solution for "Reset()" returns 264 matches (using match case and whole word only), so Find References is clearly not returning all calls to "Reset()".

Is there anything I can do to track down why VAX is including these erroneous results? I already tried rebuilding my symbol database.

<EDIT>

I just tried Find References for a private member function of a different class. This function name only exists within this class. It found the declaration and definition, but not the reference. Then I searched for the function and tried Find References from where the function is called. Then it found only the reference, and not the declaration nor definition.

So, Find References is generally unreliable for me.

</EDIT>

Edited by - hwatson on Aug 24 2006 2:13:16 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  6:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i use find references a LOT, and for me it is very reliable indeed. are you using C++?

for these cases, if you look in OFIW are all of the code files involved listed? if VA does not know about the files that define or use the member function then it is not going to know to search inside of them.

are these basic C++ classes? or are you doing clever things with template classes, virtual base classes, etc? i am searching for anything that might explain the problems.

do you use a lot of #define's to reference the classes via other names?
iterators across STL collections of the classes?

any chance of sample code that shows the problems you are having? i know this is a long shot, but it is always worth asking.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000