Technical Support
 15xx: Iterators + other problems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mackomilos

35 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  05:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cannot reproduce the problem all the time, but it appears more and more often. The problem resides in auto-inserting round brackets after autocompleting the iterator member (such as screenshots say). It seems that it is caused by inproper recognization of typed text (as you can see, the member's icon is question mark, what is most likely wrong).
The IDE is VS2005, language C++, build of VA: 1534.

I'm typing this:

What will be inserted if I press enter

Also there is a significant problem with listbox containing suggested members. If I type first characters of some member/function (especially from global scope), it will provide me with meaningless offers and almost I have to type whole word! But I have the feeling that this was already discussed in another topic.

Edited by - mackomilos on Sep 05 2006 05:21:03 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  4:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the question mark icon means that this is a suggestion listbox, so the icon does not tell you anything about the type of the item being suggested. see more information on suggestion lists here:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/suggestion.html?more=yes

can you turn on VAView and hover the mouse over "const_iterator" in this example, and see what VAView shows you in the bottom section, the class view please? i am getting the brackets added on one test system, but not on a different test system. plus the two systems are giving quite different results in VAView for "const_iterator".

something seems to be going on with how the machines are configured, which i suspect is relevant to all of this.

plus what does alt-g on "const_iterator" do on your machine?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  4:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the behaviour of listboxes should be improved in the latest build, 1534, so it is worth upgrading to that if you are running an earlier version.

Go to Top of Page

mackomilos

35 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  05:40:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your explanation on question mark, now it's clearer for me what these icons mean

Here are the screenshots you wished:

VAView from hovering the type const_iterator of vector<int> class:

VAView from hovering the variable of vector<int>::const_iterator type (the exact definition is: vector<int>::const_iterator const_buffer_iter), which is slightly different from previous one:

And finally screenshot from ALT+G while the cursor is on const_iterator of vector<int> class:

Also I have to mention that this problem sometimes doesn't occure after I create new project. But if I working on it during some period of time, the problem with brackets rises up and never dissapears. Neither reopening solution nor reopening Visual Studio does help.

If you want some more informations, just let me know.

Btw, just for information - as I already wrote in my previous post, I'm using build 1534
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  7:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you have what i have on one test machine, the machine where i get this problem.
on a second test machine, where there is no problem, i get exactly 6 lines in HCB (the bottom of VAView) when hovering over const_iterator.

now all i need to do is try to work out what the difference between the two machines is. they are using an identical project for this test, since it is stored on a common network drive.

at least i know we are looking at the same thing, which is progress

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000