Technical Support
 Poor support and C++ symbols query
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jon12345

6 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  10:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've emailed [email protected] twice and have had no response in 2 weeks. We bought 100 licenses and would expect better support than this. Buyer beware!

We are using Visual Assist build 1534 and would like to know how to get Intellisense working for C++ symbols which are contained in projects that are not in the solution.
For example, we have a class named CMyClass which is contained in I:\\MYPATH\\myclass.h. In Visual Assist, I have included this directory in Visual Assist X Options|Projects|C/C++ Dependencies|Platform = "Custom",Show Directories For = "Stable Include Files".

The symbols in those directories are not being loaded. Is there anything else I need to do to get these symbols recognised by Visual Assist?

Thanks.

rhummer
Tomato Guru

USA
527 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  11:39:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My appolgies for the negligence on my part in not responding quick. I help moderate and deal with support emails in my free time, which is lacking at times due to my main employer responsibilties.

Are you seeing any of the files being listed in the IDE Status bar in the "VAX Parsing: <some file>" that will show while VA X is doing it's thing?

Tools Engineer - Raven Software
VS2005 SP2/VS2008 SP1 - VAX <LATEST> - Win 7 x64

Go to Top of Page

jon12345

6 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  12:53:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for responding. Some files get parsed but not all. The ones that don't get parsed are the ones with the problem.

Can I make a suggestion that when logging is turned on, you log every file that gets parsed rather than the directories only?
Go to Top of Page

rhummer
Tomato Guru

USA
527 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  01:12:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good suggestion, I'll give more feed back when I am up in the morning, currently 12am here need rest :)

Tools Engineer - Raven Software
VS2005 SP2/VS2008 SP1 - VAX <LATEST> - Win 7 x64

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  01:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What IDE are you using?
When you say the symbols aren't being loaded, what are the symptoms of them not being loaded?
Symbols are underlined? Members lists are incomplete? Symbols don't show up in completion lists?

Your projects must point to the external project headers via Additional Include Dir settings in the projects? If so, we recommend not using the Custom platform in the VA options dlg.

Can you send me va.log of opening the solution in question? If the IDE opens with the solution already open, close the solution, enable logging and then open the solution. Wait until cpu goes idle and then exit.
http://www.wholetomato.com/support/faq.asp#log
Go to Top of Page

jon12345

6 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  03:00:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IDE is Visual Studio 2003.
The symptoms of symbols not being loaded are as follows:
1) Symbols are underlined.
2) Members lists do not appear.
3) Symbols don't show up in completion lists.

We do not use "Additional Include Dir" settings to point to these project headings. We use #include's with relative paths which have their own #include's. For example, stdafx.h has the following #include:
#include "\\IFC\\SRV\\012\\IFCSrv.h"
IFCSrv.h then has more #include's such as: #include "SchedBase\\SchedAddModDlg.h"

These are relative paths which might be where Visual Assist is getting confused - however the compiler has no problem with them.

Why do you recommend not using the "Custom platform" VA option to get around the potential bug described above? Under what circumstances are additional directories in "Custom platform" ignored?

Another possibility is our use of namespaces. We use nested namespaces and "using" statements in include files. While I realise this is poor programming practise, it is still acceptable to the compiler.

I'll email you the logfile. Thanks for your help.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  11:47:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[case=2512 - being worked out via email]
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  01:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote