New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gmit
Whole Tomato Software

Croatia
90 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  04:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two cases frequently bother me; I'm not sure whether they should be resolved...

1. For example, my MFC window class has OnContextMenu() function as ON_WM_CONTEXTMENU message handler. Now I want to mimic the default behaviour not by calling the base function, but by copying the default implementation and slightly adjusting it. The trouble is - how to go to the base class function declaration/implementation to 'steal the code'? Clicking on 'goto', it will only toggle between my header/cpp files, so, the only solution is to enable VC' source code browser and use 'go to definition', which gives me exactly what I want (in a very un-filtered manner). Can VA somehow assist in such situations?

2. I have a large project with many autonomous parts. Some, let's say, third-party, parts has internal MFC 'emulation', meaning, it contains a number of MFC classes clones with minimum features to allow complation on non-Win32 platforms. The trouble is, those classes are used in only half of the project, while the other half uses 'real' MFC and I mostly work on it. The trouble is... When I position to, let's say, CString and click on 'goto', I will always end up to 'MFC emulation' class, which is not really included in my sources. But, that's somewhat ok - what bothers me is - why is original MFC implementation overridden and why don't I see it as an optional place (in popup menu) to jump to?

gmit
Whole Tomato Software

Croatia
90 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  06:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have monitored those issues a bit more carefully. Point one stays, point two happens, more or less often.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  10:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
point 1, have you considered using the HCB, in VAView? hover over your class to see it in the HCB, and then the base class's will be listed, and you can then scroll through the list of functions, looking for OnContextMenu()

this is not really ideal, but alt-g is behaving as expected in this case.

point 2, this is rather strange. I have been looking into a similar situation that Uniwares reported with the CException class, but in my tests alt-g always offers me both my local class and the base system class.

I have just added a CString class to one of my projects, using VS2003, and after restarting the IDE alt-g offers me both the local CString class and the system CString class.

are you saying that sometimes you are offered the system class and sometimes you are not? does this behaviour change with different builds of VA, or just at random?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000