A few issues with VAX 1535
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  11:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) Previous builds of VAX used to bold matching parenthesis when you put the caret between them. This no longer happens. Is this a bug? This made it extremely easy to find matching parenthesis.

2) When I create a prototype for a class, for example:

void MyFunction( int variable );

I have spaces after and before the parenthesis. When I go into the CPP file to type the definition for this prototype, VA will create a popup list of varable lists that I can select and it will automatically put it in. For example:

void MyClass::MyFunction(

After the '(', i get a popup list that has "int variable" in it. I can now press enter and I get:

void MyClass::MyFunction(int variable

Now, finishing it off:

void MyClass::MyFunction(int variable )
{
}

Here's the problem. After I type the '(', I want to put a space ... since I like to put spaces after my parenthesis. When I do this, however, it makes the popup menu disappear and I can't automatically have the parameter list placed in for me. In order to make this work AT ALL, I have to not put a space around the first parenthesis. Once I press 'enter' to have it put in for me, I have to go BACK and add the space manually.

This is very annoying and slows development a little bit. Just wondering when these problems will be resolved. Thanks.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  3:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bold brackets still work perfectly for me. which IDE and font are you using?
if you turn on bold local variables do they work?

for the spaces, sit in the header file and hover the mouse over the function declaration. a small "downward pointing arrow" will appear, you can access VA's refactoring features from this, or from the VAssistX menu. Use Create Implementation, this will create the empty function body for you, a real time saver.

you can fine tune the formatting by editing the Autotext rule "Refactor Create Implementation"

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  10:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a ton for the reply. I had syntax coloring disabled previously, which strangely enough caused the parenthesis bolding to not work. This seems buggy to me.

In any case, the issue with the parameter context menu still stands. The methods you explained to me are "work arounds". Although I love the work arounds (didn't know about the refactoring stuff), I still think it would be nice for the auto parameter filler to at LEAST add the additional space (which is included in the prototype) between the starting parenthesis and the first parameter.

Thanks again for the reply.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  12:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
using VS2003 and VA 1538 bold brackets work perfectly for me, even with VA's enhanced syntax highlighting turned off.

the leading space not being inserted is:

case=2968

Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  2:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How can I view the case?
Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  2:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, I also forgot to tell you that I'm using VS2005 and build 1538.

If I uncheck "Enhance Syntax Highlighting" (disable it), then I get no bolded parenthesis. If I enable it, then I get them.
Go to Top of Page

rhummer
Tomato Guru

USA
527 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  2:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't view the case, that is the id for our internal bug tracking. By noting it here we can update the thread when it is fixed, and we also list the case=id and forum ID in the history page listing the fixes.

Tools Engineer - Raven Software
VS2005 SP2/VS2008 SP1 - VAX <LATEST> - Win 7 x64

Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  5:28:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the help guys. For now the work-arounds aren't too bad at all. I hope these two issues are fixed in the future though!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  08:07:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still cannot reproduce the bold brackets not showing up problem. can you go to:

VA Options -> About -> Copy Info

and post the resulting information here please?

Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  4:46:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've actually figured out how to break the bolding parenthesis. Using the default factory settings, go into the settings dialog and disable "Underline spelling errors in comments and strings" under the Text Editor >> Correction category. Also, disable "Enhance Syntax Coloring" under the Environment >> Fonts and Colors category.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  1:37:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for me, turning on either:

VA Options -> Text Editor -> correction -> underline spelling errors in comments and string using
VA Options -> Text Editor -> correction -> underline mistyped symbols using

will cause matching brackets to be highlighted. i need both, plus enhanced syntax colouring to be turned off to stop brackets being highlighted.

case=3079

Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  1:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, just following up on case 2968. Any plans to get that fixed soon? It seems like a very trivial fix. I envision adding a space character somewhere in the VAX code base to fix this :)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  2:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have bumped the priority on this for you. It sounds fairly easy to fix, hopefully it is

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  02:38:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=3079 is fixed in Build 1614
Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  4:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is NOT fixed. Just tested on 1614 using Visual Studio 2005.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  6:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VS2005, VA 1614, win2k. My VA options are as follows:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> everything is turned On
VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Everything except for "Any character not valid in a symbol" and "default Intellisense" is turned On
VA Options -> Advanced -> Suggestions -> everything is turned On
VA Options -> Advanced -> Underlines -> everything is turned On
VA Options -> Advanced -> Corrections -> everything is turned On
VA Options -> Advanced -> Refactoring -> everything is turned On
VA Options -> Advanced -> General -> everything is turned On
VA Options -> Advanced -> Display -> Highlight matching and mismatching brackets is turned off. Indicator column is turned off. Everything else is turned on.

With these settings matching brackets are Not highlighted.

Inverting this, to have:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> everything is turned Off
VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Everything is Off
VA Options -> Advanced -> Suggestions -> everything is turned Off
VA Options -> Advanced -> Underlines -> everything is turned Off
VA Options -> Advanced -> Corrections -> everything is turned Off
VA Options -> Advanced -> Refactoring -> everything is turned Off
VA Options -> Advanced -> General -> everything is turned Off
VA Options -> Advanced -> Display -> Highlight matching brackets is On, everything else, including highlight mismatching brackets is turned off.

With these settings matching brackets are Are highlighted.

For me I would say that case=3079 was fixed. For reference case=3079 is "highlight matching brackets is stopped by turning off other options"

Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  4:21:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, lol...

I apologize. I was talking about bug#2 I listed on my first post. I thought you guys meant that you fixed the issue of a space not being added before the inserted parameter list in the suggestion box when typing the definition for a previously made function prototype.

Sorry for the confusion. Hope you guys get this fixed soon. You had me all excited :(
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  6:41:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*ah*

case=2968

Unfortunately still in our list of things to fix. Is there some reason you are not using Create Implementation? Or just habit? With Create Implementation you can control the formatting, to have the space, or no space, via the snippet.

If you want the created functions in a different order simply use VA Outline to drag and drop the new implementation where you want it.

Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  7:09:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

*ah*

case=2968

Unfortunately still in our list of things to fix. Is there some reason you are not using Create Implementation? Or just habit? With Create Implementation you can control the formatting, to have the space, or no space, via the snippet.

If you want the created functions in a different order simply use VA Outline to drag and drop the new implementation where you want it.

It doesn't bother me personally, however a few co-workers of mine do it "manually" and it bothers them mostly. In any case, I didn't know about the VA Outline thing you mentioned. I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  3:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I lied! It does bother me!

The one time it bugs me is when I'm typing the prototype for a virtual function in a derived class. For example:

class fooBase
{
public:
	virtual void foo( int param1, int param2 );
};

class fooDerived : public fooBase
{
public:
	virtual void foo(int param1, int param2 );
};

When I'm typing 'virtual void foo(' in fooDerived, a list pops up with the parameter information already defined in fooBase. However, as you can see from my code example above, pressing ENTER to accept those parameters puts them right up against the open parenthesis. It should insert a space after the opening parenthesis and before the 'int' identifier.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  2:45:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In this situation I tend to just copy and paste the entire line from the base class. It is less typing, and the formatting does not change.

Not a perfect work around, but it is something to consider.

Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2007 :  12:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

In this situation I tend to just copy and paste the entire line from the base class. It is less typing, and the formatting does not change.

Not a perfect work around, but it is something to consider.

But that requires finding the base class file, which may not be so easy if you're using a third party library. I think this should just work. It's an obvious bug. The whitespace should be a direct copy from the original prototype.

How about we just make a case for this (assuming one hasn't already been made) and possibly bump the priority [alot]? It seems like a simple change. I've been waiting over a year for this to be resolved.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2007 :  08:19:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is covered by case=2968, and I have just bumped the priority on this for you.

Your point about trying to find the base class is a good one.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  6:46:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Case=2968 is fixed in Build 1623.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: