Feature Requests
 Depth-based nested brackets highlighting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

manuel79

3 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  08:32:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, i'm new to these forums but i'm using VAX from quite some time and i just love it, thank you for such a productive tool!

While being perfectly suited to my needs, one suggestion i would love would be to be able to switch on/off a capability consisting in a depth-based background color highlighting of all the text between nested brackets instead of just highlighting the brackets themselves, with the depth-level being adjustable between 0 (off/max_limit) and any supported depth level between 1 and max_limit.
Suppose you have some code looking like this:

iLogHeight = (int32_t)( log( (float_t)iHeight ) / log( 2.0f ) );
                      ^    ^                  ^      ^      ^ ^
                      1    2                  3      4      5 6
                       YYYY BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB YYYYYY BBBBBB Y

Y is yellow
B is blue

In a simple piece of code like the above with a depth setting of 2, the improvements at reading should be dramatically improved.

What do you think?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  10:05:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
variations on this request come up now and then we have experimented with this in the past, and to much highlighting can be distracting rather than helpful. still, this is in the list of things to have another look at.

case=582

personally I tend to split complex logic statements with a lot of brackets over several lines, as this helps to show what is going on.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

manuel79

3 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  10:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your fast reply feline: i agree with you about splitting complex logic. Also, i mean highlighting, but i intend highlight whenever the cursor enter the brackets-sensitive area, not all the brackets of all the text.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  11:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
one practical problem with this is finding enough colours that can be quickly and clearly identified. when drawing up colour coded tables of data in MS Excel I find that there are only about 6 background colours that actually work. After than you cannot quickly and easily tell them apart at a casual glance.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

manuel79

3 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  11:38:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right, so what to impose a depth limit, say 5 (and these are just much for most of the situations), associate a color with each of them, then draw from 0-depth to max-depth, it should do the trick.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000