New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sjaffe
Ketchup Master

USA
60 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2006 :  10:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VAX 1535 in eVC++ 4.0: I have two classes with the same name (one inheriting from the other), but in different namespaces. I have a pointer of this type pointing to a member of one of the classes. Often VAX is unable to resolve this symbol (Alt-G doesn't work, squiggly red line under symbol).

namespace x
{
class a
{
};
}

namespace y
{
class a : public x::a
{
int m;
};

a* ptr;
a->m; // VAX can't find m
}

(The actual code is spread over multiple files). My workaround is to rename one of the classes to something different, but this is valid C++, so VAX should parse it correctly.

I also am finding with this version (1535) that quite often for no apparent reason VAX seems to forget many of the symbol referrences and my file is filled with red squigglies under many of the symbols. I tracked down some of these to the above problem of same name classes (with inheritance) in different work spaces with polymorphic pointers, so there's probably more than one problem. I don't believe this was a problem in older releases (Alt-G change recently introduced this?)

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2006 :  1:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there are some known issues with duplicate class names in different namespaces. this should be covered by

case=734

this is certainly valid C++, but doesn't it get confusing? you are deriving a class from another class with the same name.

do you have any idea which version of VA you were using before? I was not aware that this had changed in recent builds, but the parser was changed around VA 1418 - quite a while ago now.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sjaffe
Ketchup Master

USA
60 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2006 :  1:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The previous version we were using was downloaded about a year ago (sorry, don't know the specific version #)

Stan
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2006 :  1:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
based on the dates here:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/history.asp

for the general release versions you could have been using 1301, which did have a different parser, and some different behaviours.

Go to Top of Page

sjaffe
Ketchup Master

USA
60 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2006 :  1:40:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen a number of references to "case=xxx". Is this database of cases available somewhere through the website, or is it just something Whole Tomato uses internally? If internal only, it doesn't seem particularly useful listing it in this public forum context ;^)

Art is the zen of being one too

Stan
Go to Top of Page

rhummer
Tomato Guru

USA
527 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2006 :  1:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its our internal database, we put it here for our own references so we can search the forum quickly for those cases when they are fixed ;)

Tools Engineer - Raven Software
VS2005 SP2/VS2008 SP1 - VAX <LATEST> - Win 7 x64

Go to Top of Page

sjaffe
Ketchup Master

USA
60 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2006 :  2:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not directly related to the defect, but thought feline might want to know why we have two classes with the same name:

We have our code architected into a portion that is common to a number of products (shared) and product specific. Each has its own namespace. The product specific class inherits from the shared class, extending its functionality. The product specific code instantiates a product specific object. Each namespace has a pointer to this object. The shared pointer only has access to the shared portion, the product specific pointer has full access. The pointers have the same name. The convenience of this system is a programmer can use the same name pointer in either namespace without having to think which one they are in. It works out quite nicely.

Art is the zen of being one too

Stan
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  12:10:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*ah* that makes sense. by the time something is distilled down to a sensible problem description, it often makes very little sense as code

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2006 :  9:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Case 734 is fixed in build 1541.
Go to Top of Page

StanleyWu

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  2:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems that VAX, even in version 10.4.1619.0, can't resolve symbol which is defined in DEFAULT namespace.
Consider the following code:

namespace x
{
class a
{
};
}

class a
{
public:
void fn();
};

void a::fn(){ // <--VAX can't find symbol "fn"

}

It can be compiled successfully in VC++6, but VAX can not find symbol "fn" because of class name duplication.
If I change it to "void ::a::fn()", VAX can find it. However, it is impossible for me to change them all in the existing big project.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  09:01:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using VA 1623 this works correctly for me. Using the following code, with unique type names, I have tried this in both VC6 and VS2005. In both cases alt-g on the function implementation jumps to the function declaration in the global scope.

In my tests all of this code is placed into a header file.

namespace TEST_ALT_G_SPACE_GLOBAL_CLASS_NAME
{
	class testAltGGlobalNamespaceDuplicate
	{
	};
}

class testAltGGlobalNamespaceDuplicate
{
public:
	void memberFunction();
};

void testAltGGlobalNamespaceDuplicate::memberFunction()
{

}

Go to Top of Page

StanleyWu

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  3:01:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problem is still there even after my upgrading to VAX 1623. You may recreate it just save the above three blocks of code in separate files.
For example,
1. save the declaration of TEST_ALT_G_SPACE_GLOBAL_CLASS_NAME::testAltGGlobalNamespaceDuplicate in "test1.h" file
2. save the declaration of ::testAltGGlobalNamespaceDuplicate in "test2.h" file
3. save the definition of "void testAltGGlobalNamespaceDuplicate::memberFunction()" in test.cpp, don't forget to include "test1.h" and "test2.h"

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  08:46:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am still not seeing the problem. using VS2005 and VA 1623 I have:

"test_alt_g.h" holds:

namespace TEST_ALT_G_SPACE_GLOBAL_CLASS_NAME_SCATTERED
{
	class testAltGGlobalNamespaceDuplicateScattered
	{
	public:
		void memberFunction();
	};
}

"test_general.h" holds:

class testAltGGlobalNamespaceDuplicateScattered
{
public:
	void memberFunction();
};

and "test_alt_g.cpp" holds:

#include "test_alt_g.h"
#include "test_general.h"

void testAltGGlobalNamespaceDuplicateScattered::memberFunction()
{

}

sitting in "test_alt_g.cpp" I have used alt-g on both the class name and the function name. Alt-g always takes me directly to "test_general.h", the class in the global namespace.

I have restarted the IDE after adding this code, to make sure VA has had time to catch up with all of my moving code from one file to another.

Go to Top of Page

StanleyWu

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  12:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you delete the declaration of memberFunction() in TEST_ALT_G_SPACE_GLOBAL_CLASS_NAME_SCATTERED::testAltGGlobalNamespaceDuplicateScattered, you will probably see the problem. Try again and see what will happen. Btw, I always use VC6.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  2:39:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I added the member function to try and make the code more confusing.

I have now removed the member function from the class in the namespace, reloaded VC6, and alt-g still works perfectly, taking me to both the global class and the member function in the global class.

Can you reproduce this problem in a new default project? I am starting to wonder if the project configuration or file layout is part of the problem.

Go to Top of Page

StanleyWu

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  3:10:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am pleased to let you know that it works for a new small default project.
But the problem's still there in our existing project. I will let you know if something new is found to help reproduce it in a simple way.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  07:39:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you testing with the *same* code in both your main project and the new test project? Or just code that "should be the same"?

The sample code I posted should be safe to insert into your main project, since it uses (hopefully) unique names to avoid any clashes.

It could be the actual problem code in your main project is more complex.
The organisation of the files might be a factor, but off hand I don't see why.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000